Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    I like the first one... The cat looks more intimidating that way, which I find cool with the setting.

-Erik

Arrow

i like the first one better. the diagonal line of the cat makes a nice criss-cross with the beams and it's visually appealing. he also seems to be looking directly into the lens, which gets more "personality" into the shot.
    I just want to live happily ever after, every now and then. --Jimmy Buffett

HeliCam Guest
    Hi all,
    First post here, I am a rank beginner just purchased a Rebel XT and I think this was the third picture taken - so go easy. Learning a lot from this forum, but have a long ways to go.

Robin
    Newbie in KS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by HeliCam
    Hi all,
    First post here, I am a rank beginner just purchased a Rebel XT and I think this was the third picture taken - so go easy. Learning a lot from this forum, but have a long ways to go.

Robin
    Newbie in KS
    Hi Robin,

First may I say...that is one beautiful tortoise shell Tabby you have there!

The first thing about the photo is the lack of sharpness. This happens a lot with cameras, especially if you're taking pictures of matte, unreflective surfaces. It looks like your camera had a hard time getting a focus lock, so it just sort of gave up or was hunting for a better lock when you pushed the shutter.

I don't know the RebXT, but I'm assuming that there's a little blinky light that goes off in the viewfinder that tells you when you have a focus lock. (It might be supplemented by a 'beep' or chirp as well.) If you don't get that light or chirp, try refocusing by taking your finger off the shutter, recomposing the shot again, and pressing halfway down on the shutter to get the focus lock.

Indoors, and in low light, this can sometimes take repeated tries. Don't give up. Your tabby is too beautiful not to share! Looking forward to seeing more photos... (That's my Leopold back a couple of pages, by the way.)

The other thing I would say is try experimenting with the flash at different settings. You can adjust its compensation--in effect making it brighter or dimmer--and that can go a long way. See how kitty's colors are sort of muted, and the effect has been flattened? You were taking pictures in low light (just about anywhere indoors is "low light" as far as cameras are concerned) and the flash overwhelmed the subject. This is a common thing, especially of subjects taken close up.

Congratulations on your new camera; keep experimenting! Photography is one of the most rewarding past times ever...

yours,

Julian

---------------------------------------------------------
    Amateur Photographer
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5
    Canon PowerShot G2

I need new ways to interpret things. Photography gives me new interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehill
    Wow! That looks much better. It would have taken me a long time to clone it out. The camera is the Canon XT. !SO 800 f/6.3 w/the 50mm 1.8 lense.

Here are two more. Which do you guys think is the best of the three?
    I've got to learn how to use the clone tool! Who knew it had such power?

I like the first one better as well. The cat looking directly into the lens reminds me of, well, catness. Hunched over, inquiring. Inscrutable. You know. Cat like.

yours,

Julian

---------------------------------------------------------
    Amateur Photographer
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5
    Canon PowerShot G2

I need new ways to interpret things. Photography gives me new interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by stonehill
    Wow! That looks much better. It would have taken me a long time to clone it out. The camera is the Canon XT. !SO 800 f/6.3 w/the 50mm 1.8 lense.

Here are two more. Which do you guys think is the best of the three?
    I can't decide probably the first - but I really like the mischeif in the second one. Great job on all of them!!
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

My kitty Shen-Shen

This is a pic I took with my new Sony DSC-W7. I am fairly new to photography, but very interested in learning more.
    Tell me what you think of this photo.

Nice and sharp - a bit of a strange veiw, how about a few more different shots...
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

here's my first time posting a pic....this is Roscoe.....the only pic i had here at work that wasn't in need of 'downsizing'.....i'll try to post some of my better ones later in the week.

blur was meant to soften the pic....

here's one with my fuji 2800....still use this since i don't completely trust the canon powershot pro1 to do the job all the time....