Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

RE: June 24 Pisgah Forest

Durin -

I have the FZ20 and use both a ND8 and ND64 for waterfall pictures. I most often find 1/4 to 1/2 second exposures are sufficent to give the "misty" look to the moving waters. It all depends on the amount of flow. Seems like the less moving water the longer shutter speed that you need. I typically shoot in Aperture Priority and let the camera ensure that I do not over expose the shot. I also recommend using spot metering (and metering off the brightest part of the falls) when shooting a large flow of water - helps the camera meter so as not to over expose the shot. Sometimes this causes a little under exposure, but nothing that bumping shadows a bit in PS will not fix. Another great tip - early morning, shade or overcast days. These are natures little helpers! You can see some of my pics at my site below, I think they are pretty good and demonstrate what I descibed above. I have visited several waterfalls in western NC and plan to continue going back as often as time and money allow. If NC is the place, I would also suggest Kevin Adams book "NC Waterfalls", which can be purhcased at Amazon.

pbt1234
    http://www.sitekreator.com/mikewhite
    =========================
    Panasonic FZ20 User

Thank you. New camera and all and I just plain forgot to use the spot metering.

Went to your site and there are some great shots! Thanks for the suggestions and the wonderful site.

Durin

Quote Originally Posted by pbt1234
    Durin -

I have the FZ20 and use both a ND8 and ND64 for waterfall pictures. I most often find 1/4 to 1/2 second exposures are sufficent to give the "misty" look to the moving waters. It all depends on the amount of flow. Seems like the less moving water the longer shutter speed that you need. I typically shoot in Aperture Priority and let the camera ensure that I do not over expose the shot. I also recommend using spot metering (and metering off the brightest part of the falls) when shooting a large flow of water - helps the camera meter so as not to over expose the shot. Sometimes this causes a little under exposure, but nothing that bumping shadows a bit in PS will not fix. Another great tip - early morning, shade or overcast days. These are natures little helpers! You can see some of my pics at my site below, I think they are pretty good and demonstrate what I descibed above. I have visited several waterfalls in western NC and plan to continue going back as often as time and money allow. If NC is the place, I would also suggest Kevin Adams book "NC Waterfalls", which can be purhcased at Amazon.

pbt1234
    =========================
    Panasonic FZ20 User
    Durin S. Day

Olympus OM-1n
    Canon 30d
    28-135mm (which is not a good lens in my opinion)

Cedar Rock Falls, Pisgah NC

June 24, 2006.
    Pisgah Forest
    Cedar Rock Falls

Panasonic FZ30
    1/100 sec
    F4.5
    ISO 80

Levels, added 15 saturation, unsharp mask.
    Sized to 800x600

Comments and suggestions always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Durin S. Day

Olympus OM-1n
    Canon 30d
    28-135mm (which is not a good lens in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Esoterra
    Toriaj those are some nice shots. Did you use a tripod? Its a little blurry...and I think a tripod might have helped. Nice colors and I like the velvet water
    Esoterra, I did use a tripod, but it's a cheap one. When I push the shutter button, it tends to rock the camera. Do you think it's the fault of the tripod, or I'm pushing too hard, or I just need to get a remote, or ?? Also it was dim light and I had a hard time finding focus.

After looking at the other shots, I can see now how my shots were burned. Next time I'll use faster shutter speed. These were 2.5 seconds and 3 seconds. I'll try 1/4 to 1/2 seconds like pbt1234 suggested. (maybe those long shutter speeds contributed to the blurriness too ...)

P.S. OT ... great shot of Bear Lake in the assignment thread!
    Last edited by toriaj; 07-01-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Nice photo of Whitewater Falls bvsciguy. Check out some of mine at my website below.

pbt1234
    http://www.sitekreator.com/mikewhite/waterfalls.html
    pbt1234, the link seems to be broken.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

toriaj - Try this one (http://www.sitekreator.com/mikewhite). It was the one that I posted latest. Been working on the website to better align things a bit and I think the page "waterfalls.html" is now another name.

Also if you have it use the timer on your camera. I use the 2 second timer to allow for the shakes to settle down after pressing the shutter button.

Durin - good luck and glad that I could help. Thanks for the kind words. I think that I am getting better as I go, but that is just my opinion. I have more pictures from this weekend to post - McGalliard Falls in Valdese, NC and my friend and I revisited Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden in Belmont, NC. Should have them up tomorrow evening.

pbt1234
    ============================
    Panasonic FZ20 User

I think in the link above, the right parenthesis is in the URL. Once I deleted that, it worked. I love the third one on Shunkawauken Falls.

Also if you have it use the timer on your camera. I use the 2 second timer to allow for the shakes to settle down after pressing the shutter button.
    Great idea! I will definitely try that.
    Last edited by toriaj; 06-26-2006 at 09:36 PM.
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj
    Esoterra, I did use a tripod, but it's a cheap one. When I push the shutter button, it tends to rock the camera. Do you think it's the fault of the tripod, or I'm pushing too hard, or I just need to get a remote, or ?? Also it was dim light and I had a hard time finding focus.

After looking at the other shots, I can see now how my shots were burned. Next time I'll use slower shutter speed. These were 2.5 seconds and 3 seconds. I'll try 1/4 to 1/2 seconds like pbt1234 suggested. (maybe those long shutter speeds contributed to the blurriness too ...)

P.S. OT ... great shot of Bear Lake in the assignment thread!
    I think your D50 has a self timer option. Try using that so that you dont have to touch your camera to take the shot... this way most any tripod should work!

Great photos in here. Keep them coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian C. Racine

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | BG-E2 Grip | 580EX II

Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Unusual perspective! I really like the idea of you laying on the ground to get that shot ...
    Flickr