Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6

    Nikon D100 vs D70

    My local camera store guy told me that the D70 has replaced the D100 thus rendering the latter 'obsolete' yet I see many D100's for sale new at ~$300 more than the D70...

    I've searched all over the place, mainly to find something definitive regarding the 6.1 mp sensor - is this the same in both cameras? The 'moire' issue mentioned often in D70 reviews doesn't seem to appear regarding the D100......yet the two seem to share so many specs.....

    I am confused.
    How are these cameras the same, and how do they differ?
    Is there a compare/contrast resource for dslr buyers?

    All advice appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddoggie
    My local camera store guy told me that the D70 has replaced the D100 thus rendering the latter 'obsolete' yet I see many D100's for sale new at ~$300 more than the D70...

    I've searched all over the place, mainly to find something definitive regarding the 6.1 mp sensor - is this the same in both cameras? The 'moire' issue mentioned often in D70 reviews doesn't seem to appear regarding the D100......yet the two seem to share so many specs.....

    I am confused.
    How are these cameras the same, and how do they differ?
    Is there a compare/contrast resource for dslr buyers?

    All advice appreciated
    Two different cameras sharing a similar sensor. The D100 is the first in the "low cost" dSLR genre. It is built to withstand the rigors of pro photography. The D70 is the faster upgraded replacement. Not quit as rugged, but with newer features and speed.

    For those of us who have had the D70 since its introduction a year ago moire' is not even an afterthought. It happens once in a thousand shots and can be removed in post processing. The tradeoff is softer pictures.

    If you want a camera you can beat the hell out of and still take pictures the D100 is your camera. If you want a camera that is fast and sharp the D70 is the pick, just don't beat the hell out of it (the same is true for most consumer dSLR's).

    The D70 is a great consumer dSLR, and I would buy another one in a nanosecond.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    163

    Nikon D70 Sounds Great

    After trying out a Nikon N80 for a week I found I had no patience to wait for film development, I wanted to see my pictures Right Now!!! With the kind understanding from the camera store where I purchased the N80, I was able to return it and go digital, what a nice way to catch up to the ever-changing world. I purchased a Coolpix 8800 thinking it would be nice not having to change lenses all the time as it has a good zoom option. To make a long story shorter and being totally amateur with cameras, I could tell after a couple weeks that this wasnt the camera for me. Even though I never had the N80 long I remember it being a lot faster at everything compared to the CP8800. Still wanting digital performance, I ordered a D70 after reading review after review and hearing nothing but good about this camera. I hope it's as good as I read, I don't want to have to go on the hunt for a third camera and be stuck with two in the closet, one is bad enough. The D70 should be here tomorrow so I'm excited to try it out...
    Last edited by Bullitt; 03-24-2005 at 11:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt
    After trying out a Nikon N80 for a week I found I had no patience to wait for film development, I wanted to see my pictures Right Now!!! With the kind understanding from the camera store where I purchased the N80, I was able to return it and go digital, what a nice way to catch up to the ever-changing world. I purchased a Coolpix 8800 thinking it would be nice not having to change lenses all the time as it has a good zoom option. To make a long story shorter and being totally amateur with cameras, I could tell after a couple weeks that this wasnt the camera for me. Even though I never had the N80 long I remember it being a lot faster at everything compared to the CP8800. Still wanting digital performance, I ordered a D70 after reading review after review and hearing nothing but good about this camera. I hope it's as good as I read, I don't want to have to go on the hunt for a third camera and be stuck with two in the closet, one is bad enough. The D70 should be here tomorrow so I'm excited to try it out...
    Take the time to learn the camera. It doesn't take that long. Once you get used to changing everything on the fly, without using the menu, the camera will become pretty transparent. I spend most of the time in aperture priority mode, and shift to manual occasionally when I have more time to compose the shot.

    If you liked the N65, and liked the convenience of the 8800. You're gonna love the D70.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 03-25-2005 at 08:55 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    163
    Thank you George, convenience and speed are important factors to me plus of course clean, crisp pictures... I am looking forward to receiving the D70 today. I ordered the kit with the 18-70mm lens and will eventually purchase another lens after I can sell my CP8800. I also purchased a UV filter and an extra battery as it seems digital cameras eat up power like nothing Ive ever seen before.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,099
    Shreddoggie, you may want to check out this page which has some good samples photos taken by the D70 and D100.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt
    Thank you George, convenience and speed are important factors to me plus of course clean, crisp pictures... I am looking forward to receiving the D70 today. I ordered the kit with the 18-70mm lens and will eventually purchase another lens after I can sell my CP8800. I also purchased a UV filter and an extra battery as it seems digital cameras eat up power like nothing Ive ever seen before.
    Well...another area that you will be pleasantly surprised is battery life on dSLR's is probably as good as film SLR's, since the LCD is only used for menus and shot review. I generally get about 1200 shots per charge, and I leave the camera on most of the day when I'm shooting (and sometimes for several days by accident).

    I use a Sigma 18-125 DC for day-to-day, and found that it was as good (or better than the 18-70 kit lens for about $270. I have a 50mm f1.8 that I use for shooting portraits and some landscapes, and a 70-300 that rarely gets used. I'm toying with the possibility of getting the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 to replace the 50mm f1.8. Better sharpness, and more versitile.

    Keep us posted.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Well...another area that you will be pleasantly surprised is battery life on dSLR's is probably as good as film SLR's...
    I agree! Since I got a D70 last May or so, I have never seen my battery indicator drop down 1 bar, even when I had my heaviest usage which was about 600 shots during a 1 week period. I probably recharge my battery every month or so just to be on the safe side. In total, I have probably recharged my battery 5 or 6 times since I got it last May. With my Coolpix 5400, I have probably recharged its battery at least 15-20 times during the same period.

    Ray.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schnoor
    I agree! Since I got a D70 last May or so, I have never seen my battery indicator drop down 1 bar, even when I had my heaviest usage which was about 600 shots during a 1 week period. I probably recharge my battery every month or so just to be on the safe side. In total, I have probably recharged my battery 5 or 6 times since I got it last May. With my Coolpix 5400, I have probably recharged its battery at least 15-20 times during the same period.

    Ray.
    Ray, You might want to mention this as a possible problem on the new thread on the Nikon dSLR board. In fact Canon has decreased the size, weight, and capacity, of their battery in the XT, I'm sure that this change extended the XT's shooting time. DReb owners can't use their batteries on the XT so they have to buy new ones. I think Nikon missed this benefit too.

    Seems we Nikon owners are neglecting our dSLR board, as we have nothing to complain about or wring our hands over. I have posted some potential firmware fixes to bring the D70 "up to" Canon standards. Maybe you can think of some as well. I'm tapped out.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Ray, You might want to mention this as a possible problem on the new thread on the Nikon dSLR board.
    You're probably right. If they are going to make us pay more to have a battery charger included in the D70 package, I would personally like to use it more than 5 or 6 times a year.

    Ray.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •