Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A trend to even bigger LCD?

It seems 2.5'' LCD's are becoming more common these days. I noticed Kodak's new camera with a 3.5'' LCD and just saw this prototype online, which looks like Samsung's stab at making something like Sony F828, but with a bigger LCD and more tele reach (and probably trying to gain more respect in the market)

I guess there's a physical limit to the maximum size of an LCD on a camera, but still I wonder if others are also planning to increase the LCD size as well.

A big LCD is nice - but it's gonna use more power up!
    I still use my EVF's nearly full time! and mostly forget the LCD. Even the best LCD's are not fantastic in direct sunlight.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Indeed, I wonder if Kodak's camera will have enough juice to support that huge LCD since it's a compact. Samsung's camera looks to be a behemoth so it might have a large battery to compensate. Then again, cameras W1 showed you can have long battery life with a big LCD even in a compact, so we'll have to see how things turn out.

That Samsung camera looks really awesome (not LCD wise but the camera as a whole). I think 2.5" LCDs are good enough to me, anything over that would be nice but it's waste of battery power.

*Whats the name of that Samsung camera? I can't seem to find more info on Google when I searched for Samsung Prototype Camera.
    Last edited by zero; 03-24-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Personally I think it's kinda ugly, but at least Samsung's trying to move upward like Panasonic did with their FZ series, which is a good thing. I think they are trying too hard to impress people though from what I read. That camera's supposedly have a zoom of 28-420mm(!) equivalent as well as the 3.5" LCD. I really have to question the optical performance from such ambitious lense but I guess we'll just have to see the real thing.

edit : hmm.. now I began to think it's a fakey. Hot shoes look suspicious
    Last edited by hwk; 03-24-2005 at 07:46 PM.