Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The 30D is here!!!

I'm surprised that there is nor buzz about the new 30D and a new EF-S lens... 17-55 f2.8. The new 85mm f/1.2 (!!!) for a mere $2100.

Pretty exciting.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Check the front page and in the Canon DSLR's forum.

While a lot of people were hoping for more changes (like MP), I'm glad that Canon did make the 20D more 5D-like in build, added the larger screen, increased performance, and added spot metering. Nothing earth-shattering, but sometimes it's the little things that count.

The 80mm 1.2 is a version II, George. No wonder there isn't too much excitement about that one. Of course on paper it is a faster focussing lens and all, but the first experiences will have to tell if it is as good or even better than its 1989 predecessor.

The 17-55 seems very nice, but again, time will tell how it performs... vignetting maybe? It is not exactly a cheap lens.

With all the rumors and pics of a 35D, a refined 20D just has to set in. There is still the strange camera attached to that 80mm 1.2 L II lens that is not the 30D...
    Last edited by coldrain; 02-21-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    I'm surprised that there is nor buzz about the new 30D and a new EF-S lens... 17-55 f2.8. The new 85mm f/1.2 (!!!) for a mere $2100.

Pretty exciting.
    If you combine the unchanged processor in the 30D with Nikon's Kiyoshige Shibazaki's* statements about resolution reaching a plateau, I think we're finally going to see more emphasis placed on useability and image quality.

It's interesting that many of the items updated in the 30D seem directly competitive with the D200. Clearly, the engineering decisions were made long before the D200 was released, but I wonder how much of this highlights the difference between corporate environments in Japan vs. the USA? Here in the USA, product information is a very closely held secret. OTOH, competing Japanese companies often talk to each other and even assist each other. By Japanese law, they are often prevented from certain formal cooperation arrangements, but this has resulted in an informal cooperation that takes place between even the strongest competitors.

* Actually, I'm not sure Mr. Shibazaki works directly for Nikon. I get the impression from the article previously posted (here), that he may work for another company that is contracted to do a lot of Nikon's technical work, but I'm just guessing.

For Canonites, especially 20D owners...

For Canon users, especially 20D owners I think the new 30D is a bit of a disappointment. The 30D is basically a refined 20D, enough refinements to maybe entice D30, D60, and 10D owners to upgrade, but it really doesn't offer much of an upgrade to 20D people. The spot meter is worthy, the larger lcd is nice, but it's really just a fancy 20D. I was hoping for a larger sensor with more MP with many of the features that the 5D and 30D have. So I am in debate, should I stay with my 10D, upgrade to a clearance or used 20D, save up for the 5D, or continue my wait.
    I have to wonder if this is a lull, or the begining of the technology reaching a limit. The pace of digital has been dizzying, new cameras and technology showing up all of the time. Exciting times in photography to say the least. I still hope for larger sensors with larger photo sites. I still hope someone will jump on the Foveon Bandwagon and continue to develop that technology. I hope Sony can continue to develop KM's technology and produce a strong product to increase competition. Exciting times indeed!
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Can someone explain spot metering to me? Why is it so useful and when would you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund
    If you combine the unchanged processor in the 30D with Nikon's Kiyoshige Shibazaki's* statements about resolution reaching a plateau, I think we're finally going to see more emphasis placed on useability and image quality.

It's interesting that many of the items updated in the 30D seem directly competitive with the D200. Clearly, the engineering decisions were made long before the D200 was released, but I wonder how much of this highlights the difference between corporate environments in Japan vs. the USA? Here in the USA, product information is a very closely held secret. OTOH, competing Japanese companies often talk to each other and even assist each other. By Japanese law, they are often prevented from certain formal cooperation arrangements, but this has resulted in an informal cooperation that takes place between even the strongest competitors.

* Actually, I'm not sure Mr. Shibazaki works directly for Nikon. I get the impression from the article previously posted (here), that he may work for another company that is contracted to do a lot of Nikon's technical work, but I'm just guessing.
    Since I worked for three fairly well known Japanese semiconductor companies, (for a cumulative 14 years) and many of my customers were large, well known, Japanese electronics companies, I would have a tendancy to believe the informal (and even formal) inter-company discussions part. Nothing in specific design information or strategies, but certainly in short and long term general plans.

Shibazaki-san works for the Imaging Company (group) of Nikon. I'm betting that whoever wrote the article just took this information right off of his business card.

I'm guessing we should look for the 8MP CCD replacement of the D70s (D80?) late summer or early fall, priced at ~$1099 (body). I expect that it will look and feel like the D70s.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
    Can someone explain spot metering to me? Why is it so useful and when would you use it?
    Well, I have the book, but I haven't started reading it yet. But Ansel Adam's Zone System is based on spot metering.

Another example: You have a backlit subject. You want to meter off the face / eyes rather than the bright halo, so you use a spot meter. A center weighted meter will capture too much of the halo, and matrix is totally out of the question, so the spot meter is best for this case. Basically, it's for any difficult subject where you want to isolate your meter to a specific item.

The weakness of the spot meter is that the rest of the frame has to fend for itself. So the spot meter is best used when the subject dominates the frame, but must still be isolated from difficult lighting.

On my D200, I leave the camera on Matrix metering, since that works best most of the time. But, the user programmable button, under my right ring finger is set to switch the camera to spot meter whenever it is held down.

from a former 20D owner's perspective I am happy. Not overjoyed, but happy.
    1.3x or even better, 1.3x and 1.6x crop would make me smile from ear to ear.

I am very pleased with the increase in useability.
    A faster camera that has an option to operate at 3fps and get a lot more continuous frames in over the 20D in all modes is a winner. The screen that is worth a damn in the daylight is also a godsend.
    Too bad they didnt address the grip. It looks crappy like the old one.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    The 80mm 1.2 is a version II, George. No wonder there isn't too much excitement about that one. Of course on paper it is a faster focussing lens and all, but the first experiences will have to tell if it is as good or even better than its 1989 predecessor.

The 17-55 seems very nice, but again, time will tell how it performs... vignetting maybe? It is not exactly a cheap lens.

With all the rumors and pics of a 35D, a refined 20D just has to set in. There is still the strange camera attached to that 80mm 1.2 L II lens that is not the 30D...
    I'm thinking that the 35D (or similar number) is still in the works, but as I've said before smashing 10MP into a 1.6X sensor using Canons current CMOS technology may not be working as well as Canon would like. Following Nikons model with the D70 to D70s, they are buying time to develope the sensor they wanted to introduce this time.
    Ha! See, I can change...