Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Shooting RAW images? Polarizer Filters?

How often do you shoot in RAW vs JPG or do you use the RAW/embedded JPG option?

Probably what percentage, just guess, of the beautiful sky blue images are accomplished with a polarizer filter? Or are these edited RAW's?

It was pretty easy in my Minolta 7000i SLR days to achieve this with a circular polarizer but was just wondering the best how to with a DSLR.

Thanks

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

I have started shooting raw plus small jpg. the small jpg is just for quick view or web posts but I always convert from raw now...

as far as polerizer I do both I find it really easy to get the colors I want with photoshop and a few plugins like nikon color efx pro.

it really depends on my mood and the day if I use a polorizer it is probably outdoors and sunny which means I will be shooting with enough light for the extra stop the filter adds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    How often do you shoot in RAW vs JPG or do you use the RAW/embedded JPG option?

Probably what percentage, just guess, of the beautiful sky blue images are accomplished with a polarizer filter? Or are these edited RAW's?

It was pretty easy in my Minolta 7000i SLR days to achieve this with a circular polarizer but was just wondering the best how to with a DSLR.

Thanks
    I don't like using a polarizing (or even UV Haze) filter on the lens which is why I bought a D70. Generally, great color right from the camera (with the right lens). If colors need a little punch Photoshop can take care of it. So none of my beautiful blue skies are achieved with a filter.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/