Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Considering the XT, wondering about lenses

I'm looking for a little info on the new Rebel XT and Canon's lenses, specifically the EF-S 17-85mm. Has anyone used this lense as opposed to the 18-55 in the kit, and how does it compare if you have? I guess I would also like to know how your photo's have turned out in regular 4x6 prints with the standard 18-55 lense as well (after observing some of the problems with sharpness I've seen posted).

I expect I will be buying the Rebel XT kit, as I can get a deal through work that will get me the whole kit for cheaper than I could get the body alone. That would make it a good starter for me, and I could upgrade to the high-end lense later on as I can afford it. Unfortunately the 20D is just too far out of my price range, at least as a rank amateur where digital is concerned...

Thanks in advance.

Dez-

I was disappointed with my kit lens on my Canon 20D. My husband wanted a DigReb XT for his birthday, so we ordered the body and a Tokina 24-200mm F 3.5-5.6. The Tokina has a nice range and proven to be an excellent lens. If you want to go wide angle, we have the 20D kit lens to cover that area. The final lens that we share between the DigReb XT and the 20D is a Canon EF 28-135mm F 3.5-5.6 IS USM.

The Canon 28-135mm and the Tokina 24-200mm lenses allows each camera to have a fairly long telephonto, in case we are shooting at the sametime.

Sarah Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Dez
    I'm looking for a little info on the new Rebel XT and Canon's lenses, specifically the EF-S 17-85mm. Has anyone used this lense as opposed to the 18-55 in the kit, and how does it compare if you have? I guess I would also like to know how your photo's have turned out in regular 4x6 prints with the standard 18-55 lense as well (after observing some of the problems with sharpness I've seen posted).

I expect I will be buying the Rebel XT kit, as I can get a deal through work that will get me the whole kit for cheaper than I could get the body alone. That would make it a good starter for me, and I could upgrade to the high-end lense later on as I can afford it. Unfortunately the 20D is just too far out of my price range, at least as a rank amateur where digital is concerned...

Thanks in advance.
    Since you are getting a "deal" on the XT I won't try to disuade you from that course with the Nikon D70. Even if the D70 is a better camera in most aspects of the genre.

So... someone is actually paying you to take the lens ("the whole kit for cheaper than I could get the body alone") with the camera? Hmm. Interesting inventory reduction tactic.

I guess you can't really loose and maybe you can salvage some usability from the kit lens by setting it at F8, or higher, and using the 25mm-50mm range. If that doesn't work then the words "interesting paperweight" comes to mind, and you can always go lens shopping.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    If that doesn't work then the words "interesting paperweight" comes to mind, and you can always go lens shopping.
    I'm afraid that it's useless even as a paperweight since a moderate wind would blow it all over the place...

As to your original question, the 18-55 will do alright with 4x6 prints, the real softness appears when you look at the full size images on your monitor You can make your prints even better by adding some sharpening and a little contrast in PS.

On the other hand, "new" copies of the kit lens are commanding around $70 on Ebay right now. Gives you an extra $70 discount on the body...
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Thanks for your help all...

Since it does well with smaller prints I guess I'll just use it as a starter, get used to using digital and manipulating the photos on my pc, playing with apertures, etc, then upgrade the lense once I know what I'm doing. It's been a long time since I played around with my old 35mm Minolta, so it'll take a while to get back into the groove, by then, maybe the 20D or whatever has replaced it will be in my price range...

Thanks again

the kit lens is no better than wrapping saranwrap on either end of a paper towell roll.

I made the mistake of getting it. however, I also got the 50mm f/1.8 and I use it exclusively. I would recommend spending the 60 dollars on it and then upgrading in the future to zoom lenses or larger/smaller primes.
    I just use good ol' fashioned "foot zoom" to help out with the 50's shortcommings.

As far as good walk around lenses, if you don't have enough for L-glass, the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and Sigma 18-50 2.8 have been getting excellent reviews, and are a great bang for your buck.

Sarcazmo-

You raise an excellent point. And you have named two very fine lenses. Currently I am using the Tokina 24-200 which is also excellent. These lenses make getting into the high quality digital photos provided by dSLR cameras like the Canon 350 XT, more affordable.

Sarah Joyce

Another possible XT customer

I am also looking at the possibilty of a new digital camera. I may buy a fixed-lens compact camera for certain situations (looking at a Canon PowerShot G6 or an Olympus C-7070WZ) but also looking at a Canon D-SLR if $$$ permit.

I have had the Digital Rebel XT and the EOS 20D rolling around in the back of my mind. Lenses are also a consideration. Here are some of projects which an SLR might be used on:

1: Interior shots of meetings, gatherings, ceremonies, etc.

2: Outdoor wildlife shots (deer, turkey, and some smaller up-close flora and fauna; these will likely require a combination of zoom and wide-angle shots)

3: Outdoor action (sled dog race course shots)

4: Portaits

Is there any limited combination of lenses which could economically deliver results?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan
    the kit lens is no better than wrapping saranwrap on either end of a paper towell roll.
    Really?

link