Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Article: Top 5 Free Photo Editors for Windows

Here is an article I published on my website about free photo editing software for those on a budget. I hope it'll be useful to some of you in this forum.

Top 5 Free Photo Editors for Windows
    by Gary Hendricks

If youíre really on a budget, you will be glad to know that there are many free photo editors out there ready for your download. These programs give you basic image editing features to perform standard photo enhancement tasks. Iíve compiled a list of 5 free photo editing programs for Windows which you may like to look at. Do take note, however, that some of these programs may be limited in features unless you buy an upgrade version.

The GIMP
    The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is an open-source program originally developed by two university students in 1996. It has now morphed into a powerful image editor with a huge user base. The latest version, the GIMP 2.0, has a revamped user interface that places it up threw with mainstream image editors.

Picasa
    Picasa is a powerful and free software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. If you always had problems keeping track of your pictures, Picasa will help you do that by sorting them into visual albums. Moreover, if you want to quickly touch up your photos, Picasa offers many one-click fixes to do just that. Whatís more, the program allows you to easily share those photos through email, printing or CDs.

VCW VicMan's Photo Editor
    VCW VicMan's Photo Editor has a host of features similar to Adobe Photoshop. With this program, you can easily zoom into and pan within your image and perform standard image editing. The color adjustment options are also very extensive. The program comes in a limited free version, as well as a commercial Pro version which sells for $30.

ImageForge
    ImageForge is a freeware image editor gives you a great set of tools for painting and editing images and photos. Whether you want to touch up your photo shots, or add a creative effect to a boring photo, ImageForge can provide you with the tools to do it. You can even share your photos easily by creating photo albums and simple slide shows.

Paint.NET
    Paint.NET is an on-going project at Washington State University, with features that match commercial applications, including support for layers. It is provided as freeware and is readily available for download. Besides standard image editing features, thereís also a special Effects API for you to create your own special effects. The program also has a strong user forum that supports its progress and development.

Conclusion
    I hope you'll learnt a thing or two about the best free photo editors for Windows. Using a free photo editor is a great way to save money, while satisfying all your photo manipulation needs. However, I do advise that for serious, long-term photo editing tasks, go for commercial grade software such as Ulead PhotoImpact 10 and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9.

Question

did you review irfanview before doing this article, gary? i saw you posted elsewhere that you were (i paraphrase) pleasantly surprised by it, but i didn't know where that fit into the timeline of your writing this article...
    I just want to live happily ever after, every now and then. --Jimmy Buffett

Yes, I did the review before knowing about Iranview. I'll certainly take that into consideration in my next update. Thanks!

IMO The best Photo editing free software
    1.Photoplus: complete free image editing software - www.freeserifsoftware.com
    2.Photofiltre: complete free image editing software - httpwww.photofiltre.com/
    3.Imageanalizer: image editing software with advanced features - http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/

I know the GIMP is available on the Mac... are any of the others?
    A manual-focus slide shooter lost in the world of digicams.

Thanks for the awesome info/links... You just saved me from buying software!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
    I know the GIMP is available on the Mac... are any of the others?
    I thought I heard Picassa had been ported as well.
    -Curt

Your link does not work JTL I get "Invalid Thread specified."

Another useful piece of software I use is ImageMagick. Its a comand line software and works really well with php.
    Its particularly good if you want to carry out the same modification on a lot of photos.

Its installed as standard on linux ( although would be a good idea to update as new versions are released every week ) and there is a windows installer; its not so easy on a mac though.

Windows terminal example:
    PHP Code:
    convert sunflower.jpg -resize 250x250 -bordercolor coral4 -border 1x1 ) -size 300x250 xc:black -bordercolor coral4 -border 1x1 -gravity center +swap -composite border.jpg 
    Input image

Output image
    Last edited by Anthony; 08-17-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added Linux update note

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    Your link does not work JTL I get "Invalid Thread specified."
    Jeff deleted the linked thread as spam. I will delete my post refereeing to it as not to confuse anyone. Thanks!
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.