Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546
    Just checked. I actually tweaked the perspective the other way to get those foreground lines vertical. Probably just added to the issue of the falling lighthouse.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

That looks really strange. I don't think I've seen a shot like that before where the lighthouse looks like it's falling backwards. How would you go about trying to correct that? I'm afraid your tilt/shift discussion has gone over my head. Must be something special though if kg would consider completely changing system for it.
    Love the lighthouse with the sunset though Lukas. I must have missed that one before.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Thanks Phill. A tilt shift lens is capable of correcting perspective issues like this in camera (or in lens) so that vertical lines stay vertical even if the camera isn't level. It's also capable of tilting the focus plane which can give you an infinite DOF or create a miniature effect with a thin DOF. It's popular to use them for panoramas as well. You can correct the perspective in post but it results in losing some of the image and I'm sure there's an IQ hit as well. To correct this in post I used the 'vertical' slider under 'lens corrections' in LR3. A TS lens is on the top of my list once I have a camera with live view. They're great for landscape and architecture photography.

Here's the same photo with the perspective correction. Fence lines up front are funky now, but the lighthouse looks more natural. Overall, I think it's an improvement. Thanks kgosden

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  282.6 KB
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Lukas,

I think the leading lines still work, although I would agree they are more pleasing in the falling lighthouse version. Based on your technical skills level with filters and the types of landscape shots you compose you certainly need to just buy a T/S lens now. Hey they are only money, certainly a lot of money ~$2500.
    Last edited by kgosden; 03-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks, I'll pass that along to my wife
    Lukas

Flickr

So I decided it was time for a different view of the lighthouse that started this thread, and some sunshine to boot.

Point Pinos Lighthouse looking east (west is the Pacific Ocean).

Name:  a-DSC0705-Lighthouse-200-ok-XL.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  174.0 KB

And looking west at Point Pinos Rock.

Name:  a-DSC0693-Point-Pinos-Rock-XL.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  185.9 KB
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/