Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Photo prints and cropping question?

The ArcSoft Photo Impression software that came with my Canon A95 has a Cropping option called: Constrain allowing for cropping a 5MP (2592x1944) Super Fine image for various standard aspect ratios.

So if getting a Photo Lab to make me 4x6 prints would it better to use this option in the software for 4x6 (3000x2000) before uploading the images for printing? I'm assumming this is keeping all the image quality detail.

I also have Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2 but haven't used it too much yet.

Thanks

Constrained Cropping

Blue Dog-

Yes, if you are going to have 4" X 6" prints done commercially, then it is best to crop using the 4" X 6" constraint. That way you will be sure of exactly what you will get in the print.

Sarah Joyce

Thanks Sarah for the reassurance. Don't won't any out of proportion photos now ...

Just browsing & spotted this & thought "I think I've got Arcsoft" - but mine's V4 and doesn't seem to have the 'constrain' option (drat!) I have a load of freebie print tokens for 7x5's which I thought i'd use soon - but I only get the option to change the ratio on my cameras at top resolution - so I may need to crop myself first. I believe 'Picture It' can do it!! I'll check my Serif too.
    What's a good graphic program with ALL the best functions? - mine only seem to work as a team - no red eye in my version of Serif - but Paint Shop pro does it ..etc
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com