Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Back to the needs of the many

I will start this by acknowledging that there are those of us photographers that have a “different” agenda to their craft or hobby, if you will.

That being said:

One of the more lamentable aspects of SONY’s DSLR/DSLT photography was the company’s incredible lack of response to the outcry of their customers for what the customer wanted in their camera. Instead, what we got was what SONY thought they should have in their camera and thus, three to four or even more years of effectively “wasted effort” with 3D experimental nonsense, instead of really addressing the still unaddressed “new” direction in flash and camera control technology.

If SONY had adopted and integrated RF (radio-frequency-technology), our cameras could have been out of our hands, on a tripod, and a truly reliable, responsive part of our craft (or hobby), instead of the limited IR (Infra-Red) unreliable one it still is, to this day.

Personally, I do not get it. This has been and continues to be the glaring “weak spot” in having a professional-level photographic-system controller-camera. If SONY wanted to set the pace in doing something meaningful, it was not in 3D-still photography. It should be in solid electronic flash and remote-control of the entire photographic system. THIS is a truly meaningful advancement of the art for everyone. 3-D has been and continues to be a “segment” or faction. Point in fact, even the theaters do not carry a 3-D version of a current movie for more than a week. Perhaps, if the cost were the same as “normal” movies, it might have had a chance, but with the need to purchase completely new-technology to appreciate it at home, in this day and age of no fiscal or personal financial growth… I hardly think so and the general public is bearing out that fact of modern life.

Even the Digital Photography School and training I attended paid 3-D Technologies no mind in their teaching or training. Not even a small portion of a class was dedicated to it. If you wanted to learn about it, you were on your own and still are. You have to have a viable market… and it is just not there.

Of course, there are those who say, “Well, who uses flash… and remote control?”

I contend: “A heck of a lot more than are still using 3-D!”

We need to get back to the basics of still photography and quit flying off on tangents of popularity. We are losing time… which translates into loss of imaging. I find that important. What say you?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, that horse you keep beating has been dead a long, long, long time...

Maybe dead but he's sticking with it, so they must be doing something right.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

I noticed some recent movement by Nikon and Canon, in regards to better control of the flash systems. The shame of it is that SONY (Minolta) really does have a superior flash process, but it is crippled by the continued use of IR (infra-red)technology and the simple fact it is not directly menu-controlled in the camera.

"Dead horse" or not, the other manufacturers seem to be "slowly" seeing the light, so to speak. I just wanted to go on record, with the last gasps of the DCRP... and make my last pitch for SONY to go with built-in "RF" (radio-frequency) technology for both flash control and remote camera triggering... and bring to an end this foolish disregard of an on-going "necessary evil."

I mean, how can it be dead? They never gave it life? Canon and Nikon are tweaking. Good for them. There seems to be some sense left in the world.

Look, just say this out loud: "RF is fast, IR is... half-fast."

Sorry, "3-D Panorama" is kind of useless to me and 99% of the free-world. They should know where their engineering-time would be better spent. I know I had mentioned it plenty.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-16-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

While I generally don't care about remote flash control, I would agree that rf is absolutely superior to ir. Don't feel to neglected since Olympus is still ir bound. At least they are putting the control on camera and even in my mid tier XZ-2