Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: 10 Stop filter

10 Stop filter

I brought myself a 10 stop filter earlier this year and have not been taking many photos or had a good opportunity to use it but here are a couple from last week.

As they came off the camera except for cropping. I tried to recover some of the post detail but I m not great at photo editing and it did not look very good.

Both round 10 seconds exposure; anyone else using a filter like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nice shots. I love using ND filters to smooth details in things like water flow but I hate it when all people do is use them to turn water into fairy floss. You have a great balance between preserving a sense of movement and smoothing imo.
    I'm surprised the shots were only 10 second exposure with a ND10 filter. You must have had a really bright day with a large aperture.

Here is a recent experiment of mine. A 400 second exposure in dull afternoon light. (No I don't like the flat water in the front but I did say experiment).

While the image was exposing there were a couple who walked into the frame at the top, sat on that log, took a selfie and then walked off. If you look really hard you can see a little blurring in that area.

I think as you say it is a useful tool but I am not sure how often I would use it.

As you say K1W1 there is something that does not look right about the water in the front of your waterfall - I suppose the longer the exposure the more like glass it looks.

My first test earlier in the year was not very successful although it shows the water flow that I would not have seen, both HDR images ( from memory 25, 35 and 45 second exposures ):

Name:  th__MG_9993-HDR(3)_Default.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  98.9 KB
    Name:  th__MG_9997-HDR(3)_Default.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  80.2 KB

I also used it on a visit to Bristol this week to remove cars and people from the Clifton suspension bridge

Anthony,

I rather like the longer exposure. There is just enough detail in the water.

Yes I prefer the longer of the two exposures above.
    One thing I alluded to in my waterfall shot is the ability to use ND filters to remove moving objects from scenes. Using a combination of a really small aperture, slow iso and a very dark ND filter to get an exposure in minutes rather than seconds is often used to photograph street scenes or tourist type place (monuments, statues) to give the impression that there was nobody present when the photo was taken.

Thanks guys. Time to dust of the ND and have some fun.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/