Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hello ! It's my pleasure joining your group !

For nearly 5 years, I have been enjoying my Canon 5D Mark II, but after recently purchasing Nikon's D800e, I can foresee wanting to send images off for professional quality printing services whereby my choice of print size very well could be up to 30"x40", especially, a print of that size our little Cockapoo puppy, "Maggie May"

I do have two questions to ask of you and they are: After I expend time working on an image in Lightroom 5, can a RAW image be sent out to a professional lab for enlarging into a nice enlarged print ? Secondly, would you be so kind to give me a name a good source (photo lab) ~ one which you have personally used yourselves that would provide this service for me ? I ask this because my sweet wife, Vicki, has been asking for me to provide a huge print of our "Maggie May" whereby it can be placed on display in our den

Here's Thanking You in advance for your helping me and please know that it's all my pleasure by having joined your group

Always, Best Regards,

~ Doug ~

You really have to ask the photolab if they will be happy to work on your RAW image. I'm sure, even if they do, they might ask for extra. Normally, photographers shoot in RAW because they want to enhance and edit their shots before saving them in JPG format and sending out to photolab.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    You really have to ask the photolab if they will be happy to work on your RAW image. I'm sure, even if they do, they might ask for extra. Normally, photographers shoot in RAW because they want to enhance and edit their shots before saving them in JPG format and sending out to photolab.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Thank you for your great advice ! I will admit that I was thinking that once a photo was worked over via RAW in post processing, the photo was submitted in the RAW form... You taught me something which I did not know !

Thank You ! You have taught me something which I did not know ! My thinking was that once a photo was worked over via RAW in the post processing venue, the photo was then submitted to the photo lab in the RAW format... Thank You very, very much for setting me straight !

You might not know it then, that you don't have to shoot in RAW format. You can set the camera to JPG as the final output. However the difference is, if you are into editing your shots, you can get more out of RAW.
    For me RAW is the way to go. But that's really your call.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB