Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Confused

Unhappy Confused

Hi guys... I'm a newbie in the world of photography... currently i purchasd DSC-V3.. I read alot of tutorials about how to take better images. The problem im facing right now is whenever I shoot... I'm confused if what shutter speed or what aperture should I use... I'm afraid maybe I will got overexposed or underexposed images.. so I always tend to rely on auto mode or on histogram... Can somebody give me tips on how to clear my confusion...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackphnx
    I'm confused if what shutter speed or what aperture should I use... I'm afraid maybe I will got overexposed or underexposed images..
    If what you mean is shooting in Aperture or Shutter priority, you only set the indicated item. The camera will set the other so that you have a correct exposure.

For shutter priority, you would select a fast shutter to stop action for shooting things such as sports. The camera would then automatically set the aperture for the correct exposure.

For aperture priority, you would select a small aperture to increase depth of field. The camera would then automatically set the shutter speed for the correct exposure.

Ray.

Thanks for the info. I would like to use the Manual mode to familiarize myself like what the pro does. If I get used to the auto mode always, i will got hard time when i got a manual camera... I'm asking these stuff bec. im going on vacation for 2 weeks and I want to get the best images i can...

thanks.

I would like to use the Manual mode to familiarize myself like what the pro does. If I get used to the auto mode always, i will got hard time when i got a manual camera...
    In Manual mode, you will have to set the shutter speed and the aperture. If you are taking snapshots while on vacation, this is probably not a good idea, since you will probably not get the correct exposure on the first try unless you have quite a bit of practice or you have a light meter.

Using Shutter priority or Aperture priority, though, gives you some manual control, while still using the camera's light meter to automatically set the value for the other variable.

Ray.

what about the light meter? is that built-in in my camera or should i buy that?

what about the light meter? is that built-in in my camera or should i buy that?
    I guess that I am not making myself clear. I don't think that there is any reason for you to use full manual mode to take snapshots while on vacation. Full manual mode is more for times when you can set up a shot in a controlled atmosphere.

Your camera has a built in light meter, but you disable it if you go into full manual mode.

I would like to use the Manual mode to familiarize myself like what the pro does.
    If you only want to use manual mode to feel as if you are shooting like a pro, don't. More often than not, when out in the field where you cannot control all of the variables, a pro will not shoot in full manual mode. Use the capabilities of the camera. Don't go out and buy a light meter. Learn the camera gradually. You will get the hang of manual mode in time.

Ray.

oh ic... well of course i will not shoot in manual mode... thanks for the info...

Wink

blackphnx,
    Glad you asked your questions and a big thanks to Ray for clearing them up nicely for you.
    Please feel free to come back with any more queries you may have as this is a good place to get your answers - there are a lot of knowledgable folks who browse and contribute, no doubt you will always get helpfull answers.
    Keep practicing and learning and enjoy taking the pics
    Geoff
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

thanks! you guys rulesz!

Thanks Ray! That also cleared up my confusion as well.
    "The real world begins right outside our doors --the world of nature, with remarkable beauty and diversity for all of us to discover." Kenn Kaufman