Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Season of Lights

Since Photography is literally "drawing with light" and the season of lights is upon us... how about you SONY camera jockeys shoot some Christmas lights and show some creativity?

Just a suggestion...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

He lives !! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Welcome back Don. Thought it had been a bit quiet round here lately. I look forward to the Don/Rooz "discussions" continuing in the future. It's good to have knowledgeable folks with differing opinions.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Thanks Guys... I've been in a rare funk, dealing with the Nation's depressed economy. Day after day, the government reduces the quality of national life. Someone is diverting the funds from the USA, making it very difficult to transact business on a smaller level. Taxing and business licensing is ridiculous for the "start-up" company. All that... and the digital environment has not done us any favors, either, as camera phones seem to have replaced the need for professional assistance. People are willing to "compromise" their photography for the instant gratification they get with these crappy, limited capability cellphones. It's hard to fight the "insta-matic" society we live in, now, where you don't even have to pay for any developing.

SONY is really driving the customers nuts, as the continual threat to the ALPHA lensing system continues down to a horrible end. The mere idea of having to replace all my lenses for the E-mount equivalent, to make use of the new camera bodies, is not attractive in the least. I really do not need to say more about that. I invite other alternatives, though.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-02-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

good to see you back Don. sorry things aren't working out great for you at the moment, although I would caution anyone who externalises all their problems and not internalising any of them. pro photography is a tough gig and the amount of uber-talented young folk is mind boggling.

as for sony...well...the are on fire so doubt we'll agree there.
    Last edited by Rooz; 12-03-2013 at 02:47 AM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Looks like Canada is trying to reinvent the chill of the Arctic! I can't keep my camera warm enough to take winter shots w/o heat tape! Maybe I should get a SONY a55 and heat the planet?

flickr & Sdi

Welcome back Don. Making a living capturing images is definitely difficult. After a few successes my photo income all but vanished. Shooting gatherings (weddings and reunions) has become a very hit-or-miss proposition due to exactly what you pointed out. Crappy cell phone pics seem the be the norm now.

Sony? Don't know what their problem is, but they do make great sensors. The one on my D7000 works great. And from what I've seen the D610 sensor does as well. The lens mounts haven't changed in quite a while.

We are pretty chilly here in Northern CA as well. In the 20's here by the sea and getting family reports of 4 deg. F up by Shasta.

Life has it's ups and downs... I've had several. Keep the faith.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 12-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

people seam to think instagram is wonderful photography...wonder why we even bother any more

That's a pretty negative outlook of things ! lol
    flickr

Well, I was trying to wait for a nice night to photograph my Christmas decorations on the house... and lo' and behold, we had another water main detonation in the front yard. It was 3-degrees Fahrenheit all night, as the Public Works department repaired the rupture.

I used the unbelievable amount of encircling water as a reflection pool. (It's all frozen solid, now - 20131224 - 11:00AM)

Many images not-so-simply create themselves.

Name:  2013 lights.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  2013 flooding.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  66.4 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.

flickr & Sdi