Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Tamron 90mm Di

Hybrid View

Tamron 90mm Di

I bought one of these for true 1:1 macro shots with my D70 - heard/read a lot of good things about this lens. Unfortunately I find it overexposes under certain conditions - with and without flash, indoors and outdoors - not always, just sometimes. I can't quite pin it down. I know of one other 90mm Di owner with the same problem. This is a bummer because the lens is really well constructed and a pleasure to use. However you can't use the built-in flash when the lens is fully extended - (of course) it blocks the flash and creates a shadow in the image. From the feedback I've gotten so far, non-Di owners do not experience the overexposure phenomenon. Can anyone else comment on this from their own experience? I'm not having much luck with 1:1 macro lenses. The nikon 60mm Micro was nice (very touchy) but you must be VERY close to the subject. And I tried the Sigma 105 - very good images, very sloppy AF and an annoying AF/MF switchover design. I may have to go for the non-Di version of the Tamron. Anyway - comments appreciated.
    Nikon D70

Quote Originally Posted by tksuther
    I bought one of these for true 1:1 macro shots with my D70 - heard/read a lot of good things about this lens. Unfortunately I find it overexposes under certain conditions - with and without flash, indoors and outdoors - not always, just sometimes. I can't quite pin it down. I know of one other 90mm Di owner with the same problem. This is a bummer because the lens is really well constructed and a pleasure to use. However you can't use the built-in flash when the lens is fully extended - (of course) it blocks the flash and creates a shadow in the image. From the feedback I've gotten so far, non-Di owners do not experience the overexposure phenomenon. Can anyone else comment on this from their own experience? I'm not having much luck with 1:1 macro lenses. The nikon 60mm Micro was nice (very touchy) but you must be VERY close to the subject. And I tried the Sigma 105 - very good images, very sloppy AF and an annoying AF/MF switchover design. I may have to go for the non-Di version of the Tamron. Anyway - comments appreciated.
    Unfortunately (or apparently, fortunately) I have not used the 90mm Di. Most of the members, on this board, with D70's are using their old AF collection and maybe sprung for the 18-70 DX lens. My old FE lenses are a bit over the hill, so I'm slowly trying to build a good, but frugal, kit. Since I have a Nikon 990, true macro for the D70 is not critical, but would be nice.

Keep us posted on your trials and tribulations.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Thanks - I'll work with the Di for a little while longer and make a decision whether or not to keep it. At this rate, I'll go broke from return shipping charges! Anyway, if you come across any comments from others with either of these lenses (Di and non-Di), I'd appreciate you passing them on.
    Nikon D70