Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What pocket-sized camera should I buy? Must be quality all-rounder wt telephoto zoom

Sorr this forum wont let me post !

(It is moaning about too many URLs - but I'm not using any URLs. OR It's moaning about forbidden words but what are they?)

J
    Last edited by ship69; 09-24-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Hi

Please can anyone suggest what camera I should buy.

> Budget
    > * What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    Not sure, say: GBP 150 - 450 (at a pinch)

> Size
    > * What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Must be extremely 'pocket-able'. I want it to be in my pocket without noticing. As much as humanly possible this means flat sides with nothing sticking out. No big fat lenses that wont retract.

> Features
    > How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    Not sure... 8 to 10+
    Pixels are NOT super-important to me.
    Much more important is quality of the CCD, i,.e. the colour accuracy and the ability to not lose detail in bright highlights and dark shadows...

> * What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    I need a focal length equivalent on 35mm SLR of slightly wide angle (say 35mm) to at at least 150mm, ideally perhaps 250+ mm
    A good-ish telephoto is the most important.
    I am assuming that this means that image stabilisation will be important.

> * How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

> Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Not very fussed.

> General Usage
    >
    > * What will you generally use the camera for?
    Portraits, insects (e.g. butterflies), landscape/views.

> * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Sometimes

> Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

> (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    - Rotating LCD definitely a major bonus for covert portrait shots in social situations.
    - Image stabilisation (presumably this is important for long focal length shots)
    - Weather proof not necessary
    - Flash not necessary
    - removable lens would be a nice bonus

> Favourite brands:
    Canon. Then Nikon. Maybe Fujifilm. Possibly Lumix, Sony. Don't very much like Ricoh, Pentax, Olympus but all are possible.

> Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    - Canon PowerShot G1 X - but doesnt look 'pocketable' enough.
    - Canon Powershot G15 - but only goes to focal length of 140mm, also not really pocketable enough
    - Nikon Coolpix P7800 up to 200mm (equiv) ...?

Needs to be fairly easy to use with good ergonomics.

> (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    - Rotating LCD definitely a major bonus for covert portrait shots in social situations.
    - Image stabilisation (presumably this is important for long focal length shots)
    - Weather proof not necessary
    - Flash not necessary
    - removable lens would be a nice bonus

Any recommendations?

J
    Last edited by ship69; 09-24-2013 at 05:06 PM.

*** MODERATORS! ***
    I was orced to post multiple times in order to work out the banned words
    WTF - does this forum forbid brand names?
    In the end I managed to post my entire message. It does not have any URLs, nor any rude words.

NIGHTMARE! What's wrong with this software??!
    Last edited by ship69; 09-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.

What is a price range of GBP 150 - 450? What is that in USD?

Canon G15 and Nikon P7700/7800 are good cameras but too big (and expensive) for my pockets. I have a Pan ZS15 and like it. Small with lots of zoom. Canon SX260 is another good ultrazoom.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.