Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Where to go from here?

I was disappointed to read that Jeff has decided to shut down this site, but glad to see he's still around, at DP Review, and that he's going to leave this forum up.

I joined over there, but didn't notice the old guard from here being active over there; is there another new destination for you regulars who have had so much useful information and opinion to share?
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

Yikes, where are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    I was disappointed to read that Jeff has decided to shut down this site, but glad to see he's still around, at DP Review, and that he's going to leave this forum up.

I joined over there, but didn't notice the old guard from here being active over there; is there another new destination for you regulars who have had so much useful information and opinion to share?
    Andy "Panda Bear",

[start soap-box mode]

When it comes to things "SONY", ala Minolta, the most coverage wide response is on Dyxum.com, now. SONY made a lot of moves that caused many serious photographers to jump ship and migrate to other manufacturers, simply for continuity. With the introduction of the NEX E-mount and other smaller photographic solutions, the Alpha-Mount has suffered and is threatened with future nonexistence.

Personally, I find this very disturbing and it is understandable why people do not trust the SONY brand. IMO, inconsistency is not a foray of a good and reliable manufacturer... hence, the migration to something looking more stable. The heart of DSLR photography is continual improvement based on the mount.... not abandoning the mount, because you want some other technology integrated.

I mean if SONY were to replace everyone's lenses with a matching E-mount ones, fine. But, without that option... this is just abandonment of the customer base and that's hard to live with, unless you have a golden spoon in your mouth. The one thing no one can accuse the optics industry of is making readily affordable high-end glass. Fiscal pain is fact of life, these days. SONY's decisions only exacerbate that for the "settled-in" photographer.

[end soap-box mode]
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-27-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow. Did not know that Sony abandoned the Minolta mount. Another dumb move by Sony. This arrogance has become part of Sony's failure in other markets as well, as Samsung and LG kick the stuffing out of them in almost all other endeavors. Their Semi division is making some great sensors, but Nikon is eating their lunch... with their own sensors (!!!). Now I know why.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

now they are pushing the nex mount..