Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

help me for my DSLR for life

Hi, I'm from Italy and I'm going to buy my DSLR for life, so I ask you some suggestions. Thank you so much!

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between?

DSLR

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?

I have a bridge

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?

both

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

max 2200 USD

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)

yes

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?

lots of years

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?

landscapes, macro and animals and portraits
    Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?

no

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?

more outdoor

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?

possible

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?

lots of time for the perfect image

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?

no

These days, few people keep using a dSLR for more than few years before upgrading. In your case, since you are mainly taking outdoors photos, just start with an entry level dSLR which usually comes with a standard kit lens and find out if this would completely satisfy your needs.

You've had prior posts asking for camera advice which suggests you already own a digital camera, what is it about your current camera that you are not happy about?
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Depending on how serious you are about photography, basically there are two ways you can take. If you aren't that much into the whole thing, and all you want is a decent camera you will spend as little money on as possible, than you can indeed choose one of the entry level DSLRs as suggested above; and frankly, it makes little difference which one you go for. Alternatively, if you know you are serious about photography, than I'd suggest you already start with one of the top cameras. Otherwise you might end up in the spiral of getting increasingly good cameras and lenses over time, and spend much more money in the process than if you got the top one in the first place.
    You mentioned your price cap being $2200. I believe you can get for instance Canon 5DMkII for about $2500 these days.