Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod tips

I also have a 055x series Manfrotto. It's nice but a lot bigger and heavier than the Feisol. They're the same size when opened up though. The aluminum versions are about half the price of the Feisol. Regarding center columns, it's my opinion that they're a useless feature that reduces stability and adds weight. I have also heard good things about 3 Legged Thing, but I have no personal experience.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Centre Columns are handy if you are trying to get over the edge shots of waterfalls

or trying to get an interesting angle for a river shot

I have also heard good things about 3 Legged Thing
    I have a 3 legged thing tripod and ball head. I have nothing to compair it with apart from an old aluminium tripod I used to use. I am very happy with it and have removed one leg to use as a monopod when I borrowed a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. The ballhead is smooth and feels secure.
    One leg bottom section is at a slight angle to the rest of the leg and I was going to take it back but it works OK and I keep forgetting about it.
    If you call into the office near Bedford you can try the different models out.

I think they have changed the bottom of the legs now so that you can have spikes or the rubber feet.

I am not sure they still make this Eddy model:

Last edited by Anthony; 06-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    I also have a 055x series Manfrotto. It's nice but a lot bigger and heavier than the Feisol...
    Yeah, that's the kind of the situation I'm in. I have a tripod I'm completely happy with otherwise, and it is perfectly fine when I'm going out for just a day. It is too heavy and big to carry around on longer treks and/or on the plane though, which is why I'm looking for a lighter and more compact one. Getting something big and heavy again would completely defeat the purpose here. The fact that it was not originally intended to be my new "primary" tripod, just a light-weight substitute for when I can't carry the other one, is exactly the reason why I was reluctant to spend a lot of money on it. Seeing all of the above, and having read a bit more on the topic, I'm begining to appreciate, that this idea might have been a little naive though, and if I want a decent light and compact tripod, I will have to be ready to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I have a 3 legged thing tripod and ball head. I have nothing to compair it with apart from an old aluminium tripod I used to use. I am very happy with it and have removed one leg to use as a monopod when I borrowed a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. The ballhead is smooth and feels secure.
    One leg bottom section is at a slight angle to the rest of the leg and I was going to take it back but it works OK and I keep forgetting about it.
    If you call into the office near Bedford you can try the different models out.

I think they have changed the bottom of the legs now so that you can have spikes or the rubber feet.
    Thanks Anthony, that has been most helpful. I have also noticed that they have a retailer (Cameraworld), near Oxford Street, and working centrally, that would be much more convenient for me than Bedford. You probably don't happen to have some experience with that store by any chance, do you?

The ability to extend the center column to the side is a nice feature on the Manfrottos, but I doubt I'd use it all that much. Does the set up remain stable enough for a long exposure?

What's the max weight you want in this tripod?
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Does the set up remain stable enough for a long exposure?
    For the style of use you have I agree that it's probably not something you would use much if at all. I does come in handy for macro or for getting shots in difficult locations though.
    As far as stability is concerned yes hanging a gripped D300 and heavy lens off the end can be an issue if the horizontal arm is fully extended but in that case it's simple enough to weight the feet with a camera bag or rocks as required. In my experience the tripod itself (head and arm) are secure enough not to move position so some weigh on the legs stops things tipping into the river or over the edge.

Good info. Thanks K1W1
    Lukas

Flickr

You probably don't happen to have some experience with that store by any chance, do you?
    No I am afraid I know nothing about them.

The ability to extend the center column to the side is a nice feature on the Manfrottos
    On my old aluminium tripod I machined up an aluminium block that I could screw to the top of the tripod and put in the extending column. It then worked like K1W1's Manfrotto. From memory I only used it once and that was quite useful as I could use the camera to look down rather than turn the column upside down.