Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod tips

Tripod tips

Hi all,

I find myself in a need of a new tripod - one that would be sturdy enough to hold my 5D Mk2 but light enough at the same time for me to carry it around - so I was wondering if anyone would have some tips for useful websites with tripod reviews and/or some personal experience. I currently have a Vanguard Tracker 4, which is a great tripod and I intend to keep using it when possible, but it is a little too bulky and heavy to carry when I go hiking and need to carry all the stuff on my back for a couple of days.

Thanks,

Pavel

Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

What's your budget? Lightweight and sturdy is going to be tough to get without a decent budget. I use a Feisol CT-3442 for backpacking/travel. It opens up big, breaks down small, has a good size leg cross section, no center column and is about 2 1/3 lbs. It has reversible legs for a more compact carrying solution, but you need the correct ballhead to make it work.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Buy the absolute best tripod that you can't afford. A good tripod will give you at least 20 years service and the price will pale into insignificance compared to buying three, four or five cheap tripods in the intervening period.
    A tripod is only part of the deal. Do the same with a your tripod head, get the best you can.

Thanks for replies everyone. I do realize that tripod is a long-term investment, however, I still feel hesitant to spend $500+ on it - probably false economy on my part, I know. The Feisol looks very nice, but with the extra cost of a decent head and the center column, I would be getting into the $600 - 700 region. Maybe if I keep thinking about for a bit more, I will eventually persuade myself though.

Any other tips?

There are plenty of decent leg sets in the $2-300 range. I see B&H has the Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT Carbon Fiber Tripod for $219 thru July.

Quote Originally Posted by Pave View Post
    T Maybe if I keep thinking about for a bit more, I will eventually persuade myself though.

Any other tips?
    Seeing as you are in the UK why not go British? (Well the company I doubt that the products are made in the UK)

3LeggedThing

Many of their tripods can also convert to monopods and they come with matched heads and industry standard Arca Swiss compatible QR plates.
    Besides which other company do you know who names their tripods after Rock and Roll stars?
    Last edited by K1W1; 06-02-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pave View Post
    Thanks for replies everyone. I do realize that tripod is a long-term investment, however, I still feel hesitant to spend $500+ on it - probably false economy on my part, I know. The Feisol looks very nice, but with the extra cost of a decent head and the center column, I would be getting into the $600 - 700 region. Maybe if I keep thinking about for a bit more, I will eventually persuade myself though.

Any other tips?
    While I don't intend to get a tripod myself in the near future, I am pretty sure that I if had to make the choice, I would buy a Nikon D5200 and a tripod/tripod head over getting a Nikon D7100.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Seeing as you are in the UK why not go British? (Well the company I doubt that the products are made in the UK)

3LeggedThing

Many of their tripods can also convert to monopods and they come with matched heads and industry standard Arca Swiss compatible QR plates.
    Besides which other company do you know who names their tripods after Rock and Roll stars?
    Oh, wow, I've never even heard about this brand. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Any personal experience with them?
    Seeing one of their retailers is almost within walking distance from my work, I will need to drop by one of these days. It's just a shame they don't also have a "Lemmy" tripod.

Personal experience no but they generally get very good reviews.
    When I get the time and inclination (and a cash bonus I'm expecting) I will be heading to the local dealer to investigate a Keith to use with my Fuji cameras and when I'm on my motorcycle. I figure that if the Keith is anything like the real Keith it will live forever.