Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.

85 1.8D vs 85 1.4

I'm taking a long hard look at the various 85mm 1.4 lenses available and thinking that I want one, mostly for shots of the kid at his karate tournaments and other low light events. I think the 85mm focal length will be ok, especially compared to the 50 I use right now.

However I have a chance to buy a pristine 85mm 1.8D for less than 200 canuck bucks, and I'm sorely tempted.

So, looking for words from people who own, or have owned, either or both. Is the 1.4 really worth the extra in terms of IQ and sharpness? Or is the 1.8 probably all I'll ever really need?
    Critique most definitely desired...

Would you rather have an acceptable photo or no photo? it sounds like at the moment you are in the no photo camp wanting to migrate.

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.
    I haven't shot a low light event with the D300 yet, so I really don't know for sure which camp I'm in anymore. With the D200 and the 28-75 f2.8, I was in the "Acceptable 5x7 with lots of processing" camp.

I hate post work, especially noise reduction.

From what I can tell so far (which isn't much, I haven't had the time to do much shooting), I've gained at least 1 stop, if not 2, with the switch to the D300. That should net me some more acceptable pictures as long as I don't pixel peep too much So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I could wait for a 85mm 1.4G if it was worth the wait of a few months and the extra thousand bucks or so I'd have to shell out.

Rod
    Critique most definitely desired...

Why not the 85/1.8 G?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Why not the 85/1.8 G?
    I'd consider the 85/1.8G. DXOMark rates it the same as the 85/1.4G in IQ, and it costs $1,100 USD less. Since I'm an amateur, 2/3 stops are not worth the extra money. I will be picking one up very soon. Still kicking myself for not getting it when Nikon had a $100 rebate on it a couple of months ago (basically 25% off).

D300 cameras are not good for low light use period. Over iso1600 in dark conditions and images get almost unusable imo unless you go the grainy b&w look.
    You are going to be at f1.8 to get any sort of reasonable shutter speed without driving the iso up to far which means you really will only be looking at photographing fairly static subjects. Any sport where people are moving randomly will be a big struggle.

I should have been a bit more clear and stated that I have a D600 now, which is MUCH better in low light than my old D90 (the D90 sensor is the same as the D300s, if I recall correctly). That's why the 2/3 stop difference between f/1.4 and f/1.8 is not worth the price difference to me as an amateur.

Funny how the D300 was good in low light when it came out and now it's not so good. It's all relative.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Funny how the D300 was good in low light when it came out and now it's not so good. It's all relative.
    Ain't that the truth lol. The D90 is not bad in low light, and I remember being really glad when I got it because it was an improvement. But now compared to the D600 that's another story...

Yup. Stand by for another breakthrough in ISO in the next couple of years. I'm sure Nikon is hard at work developing the next 36MP sensor (with Sony) for The D5. You know it's coming... along with VRIII, and in camera blur processing
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/