Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

UGH. Back to newbie status with my camera!

Yeah, so I have barely touched my camera and equipment in like two years.

Last week I was helping a friend list some jewelry on Ebay. I had a necklace set up on a box with a piece of black stretch velvet under it. The first few pictures were good. But for some reason, half the time my flash would not go off. I was using the SB400. Fresh batteries. I thought something was wrong, so I took that flash off, and used the built in flash. I was using macro, and also the P setting. Both times I would get the flash to fire sometimes and other times not. I could not for the life of me figure out what I did. I changed a million settings to the point that I have no idea what I did anymore. I have to go through the book, and put it all back the way I used to have it.

Can anyone give me a quick 5 minute lesson? Just tell me what I need to do to get my flash to go off while photographing small items!!! I can pull out the camera later, and go through what it says. I need to take some more pictures, and I am actually scared of my camera now. :-(

So lesson learned ... use it or lose it, totally!
    Leah
    Nikon D90, because I have a nice Mom.
    Nikon 18-105 VR kit lens | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 |
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G |
    Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM |Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G VR
    SB 600 & SB400

Canon G9 "borrowed" from my step-father

flickr

P is a semi automatic setting. The camera I suspect is only using the flash when it thinks it needs to.
    Try going to the flash settings in the menu as set it to force flash (or similar) so that the flash fires regardless every time.

OK! I think I got it set to force. BRB.

Quick question ... will the flash fire in macro mode?

OH SNAP! That worked!!!! muah!!! Thanks soooo much!
    Last edited by mugsisme; 06-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Leah
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G |
    SB 600 & SB400

flickr

Umm why wouldn't it ? and thanks for teaching me the D90 has a macro mode, I had no idea.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    and thanks for teaching me the D90 has a macro mode, I had no idea.
    I'm confused on that point.

I picked up Annes camera and found it had mode settings, I wish I'd known before as I might have told her the cheats way to take sunset photos instead of telling her to adjust white balance.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    I'm confused on that point.
    On the D80 and D90, the mode dial has various point-and-shoot modes (Nikon calls them Digital Vari-Programs) as well as the familiar PSAM and Auto modes. These p&s modes work the same as on p&s cameras by calling up various settings for differing situations. In close-up (or macro) mode the camera enhances contrast and saturation for more vivid pictures of flowers, insects, etc., and also selects centre focus. The closeness of the focus still depends on the lens you are using, of course.
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff oh, and some Canon p&s's too

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Umm why wouldn't it ? and thanks for teaching me the D90 has a macro mode, I had no idea.
    Cuz on my phone it won't let you use the flash in macro. IDK. Maybe it thinks you are too stupid to realize that you don't need flash when you are a few inches away? but in my dining room at night, I need a flash to bounce off the ceiling. My phone sucks anyway for pictures. I can't adjust the white balance and all my purples look like blue. (My future daughter in law picked purple for the wedding. so when I send pictures of the dresses I find, they keep telling me it's blue. I'm like, no it's not.)

You seriously didn't know about those settings? I use macro, but never the sports unless I really can't get the speed fast enough. But like I said ... I haven't used my camera in forever and then some.
    Leah
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8G |
    SB 600 & SB400

flickr