Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Funny, but in a sad way for SONY

I know that my ideas were… sometimes, a bit ahead of the times… I guess!

I tol' ya, the digital camera was so much more capable of information than just taking "un-edu-ma-cated" images. It could teach you how to do so much better!

So, check this out my lame-thinkers… and don’t forget… I TOLD YA SO! "Sand-packers" to the end of the line.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/emails/...=&CID=1-9SOV5S

Next thing you know... "History of Photography - the in-camera version." Just watch (pardon the pun )
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-18-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Right...so let me just clarify...the image quality of the a99 is a backwards step for photography. video on dslr is akin to murdering kittens with a blunt razor...but some gimmicky in camera tutorials are a huge step forward for progress.

Do I have that about right ? You have basically moved from the ridiculous to the downright absurd...quite the achiever ! lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I may be doing a little self-promotion, but hey... why not? I nailed it!

Although, it is kind of a shame that it was Canon who ran with the idea, but what the heck... at least they have the world-wide coverage and, I figure that the more people who can enjoy this "training advantage", the better. I have always wanted to see people (students and hobbyists) doing a better job with the amount of cash they sink into their respective hobby. It's all very magnanimous, I assure you. You know, making the most out of the tool in front of you. Most digital cameras are just little, one-chip computers... and now, on-board video playback machines.

If they have included the owner's manual and record-keeping of shots/footage... you could have the "ultimate recorder" that contains your written personality, too. One day, they might be able to eliminate the PC, entirely, and just download to a MASS STORAGE/BACKUP device. With Wi-Fi... and the Eye-Fi Memory Card, you are already at that point, as all your stream of in-camera shots are automatically copied off to an online account. I call it the "trash dump," because you have not had a chance to properly "groom" your images with Photoshop or PS LightRoom.

As for SONY, they, apparently, still have NOT woken up and realized that they aren't playing "big ball" yet, with the STILL-Photography bunch. Once they truly take interest and address the needs of the Alpha-mount group, then they will have arrived. As it stands... we are still waiting.

That's not my fault, Rooz. SONY could have nailed it, too... but NO! They want to keep playing with the video/P&S bunch... who simply cannot afford the invest in "big boy" toys (major lenses and such). Too many other silly toys to buy first, right? I have to admit, it is rather hard working with a "toy" manufacturer/movie-maker. I mean, look at how many pieces you need to buy to make a NEX into something that resembles a camera!

BTW: When is the last time you went to the theater and saw "Canon Pictures" stamped on a movie?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-19-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    Right...so let me just clarify...the image quality of the a99 is a backwards step for photography. video on dslr is akin to murdering kittens with a blunt razor...but some gimmicky in camera tutorials are a huge step forward for progress.

Do I have that about right ? You have basically moved from the ridiculous to the downright absurd...quite the achiever ! lol
    Rooz,

I know that you know that I know that you know exactly what I was concerned about with SONY latest release. They went and changed the "hot shoe" as a surprise move to the masses. That's pretty dubious and harmfully impacts the masses, in my opinion. Not only that, with this woeful change, they wind up using "adapters" as a solution on the best camera they now make to use the system.

They had a direct opportunity to add RF to the camera body and truly step ahead of the issue. They did not.

"WHY?" I ask you... would I want to drop another $3000 on this kind of "Lead-footed" leadership? The a900/a850/a700 "still-cameras" offer nearly as good sensor response... works with almost everything I currently own... and has the traditional Minolta/SONY hot shoe. In fact, the a850 only cost $1999 brand new!

SONY's "advanced offering" for 2012-13 could have been astounding... but, it falls flat for the excessive cost benefit and problematic integration to your already existing system.

Here's the solution, in my estimation:

It is the same old story... just a different day.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Okay... on further consideration, how about a pico-projector built into the camera or vertical grip, also, allowing for better, enlarged review of images in a darkened room... for some in-camera improvements. Since SONY (aka- "the movie-maker") wants to put the whole shootin' match in the camera... why not the dog-gone movie theater, too?

Name:  872139.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  8.2 KB

• 95 Lumens
    • (1280 x 768)
    • Speaker
    • SD-HC (32GB Maximum) USB Reader
    • Media Player
    • 75+ Minute Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery
    • HDMI In x 1
    • Vibrant Color Technology w/ 15,000 LEDs
    • 100% Free of Mercury
    • Real Quick On & Off Feature

Instead of being excited about things like this... I'm rather sad.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-20-2013 at 06:53 AM.

flickr & Sdi