Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    D70FAN;
    I didn't see your comment b4 I said a similar thing in the POTD thread, just not as detailed.
    Falconest174
    Seeing the picture starts the process
    D7100, Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300 Macro, Sigma 17-70 F2.8 Macro,
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/rmProvost

Quote Originally Posted by Falconest174 View Post
    D70FAN;
    I didn't see your comment b4 I said a similar thing in the POTD thread, just not as detailed.
    Hey, the more the merrier.

Some Mustangs (wild horses) on the Pima reservation near Scottsdale. Note to DPR: We are just killing time until your next post.

Name:  9671 Wild Horses-s.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  647.0 KB
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Ohh D70 your horses are better than mine.

I'm going to tease you by posting my comments and do my photo upload later.

I'm sitting by the poolside while my kids play typing this as a way of avoiding getting in the colder water than I like.

We're in Utah now at a town called /vernal having just seen their local dino museum in preparation to go to Dinosaur National Monument tomorrow and see the cliffside bone bed with reputedly a 1,000 specimens. I asked at he front desk where to buy liquor as it appears to be most often in pharmacies in the US and got told you can only buy it at the singular State Liquor Shop which shuts at 7pm, haha on the way back I stopped in at Walmart around 8pm where I could quite happily buy an assault rifle if I was so inclined. Funny cultural differences. The locals here wouldn't want to know how many grog shops I've got within a 2 mile radius of my house - and I most assuredly don't have a single gun retailer in that radius. Again the price stunned me, $37 for Woodfords Reserve - well under half price of back home. I don't have a fantastic ladder story to go with it though (like San Fran) but I like the singular grog shop angle almost as much.

The dino museum at Price was exceptional, sorry for only using superlatives instead of adjectives in these posts but they're easier and faster. If I had to describe why it was good I suppose it was because it had actual bones in their skeletons that were colour designated from the cast elements. We could touch actual dinosaur bones and I actually got to see and feel the growth ring diameter decrease with age which I'd only ever heard about from documentaries. The curator or director or whatever he was (at least a paleontologist) spent a good hour of his time dropping in on us as we walked around the museum and he explained various things and was basically very generous of his time and expertise. Even without the personal service I highly recommend the place and it was well worth the 3 hr detour and missing magnificent state parks to free up this time.

The photo of Alex holding the stone is him holding an actual Hadrosaur egg (not a cast), where else in the world can you do this. Back in sleepy old Adelaide we can't even touch a cast of a leg bone.

One reason it was worth missing the scenery was that we're a bit sick of beautiful crinkly rock formations, remember that at each overlook of one: I tend to pull up rapidly, stop the car, order everyone out, make them wait while I grab a happy snap and to add insult to inury cap it all off by making them tell me how pretty it was and that it was worth the stop dad.

The Vernal museum was also nice but I didn't feel as favorably towards it as it was aimed at a younger audience, basically the Price one had more science and more intelligent plaques.

The drive between the two was less scenic than the previous drives but still very enjoyable. It's funny how I now feel unsafe driving on single lane undivided roads which in most ways are still far superiour to the country highways I take for granted back home. The short drive has set us up for a big day tomorrow at Dino Nat Park with a short drive to Fruita and the final dino museum of this leg. Then we start the big push east on Memorial Weekend where somehow I have to get accommodation despite car races and crowds near Wright Patterson Air Force Base / Museum.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 05-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

You are not that far from where my uncle used to live in Northwestern Col. 'Dinosaur, Col.' (Used to be known as Rangely) Also Dinosaur Nat. Monument. High plateau area higher than Denver.
    Falconest174
    Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD 60Th Anniv. ,SB700, Vivitar 383, Manfrotto t-pod, monopod
    Facebook:

DPR,

Sounds like you are getting red rocked out. I get that way after about 10 days when I visit family in Arizona.

You will get the chance to learn about US liquor laws. Here they vary by state as after prohibition ended the control of alcoholic beverages was granted to the individual states. Each has a different set of rules for distribution, availability and taxation. Some sell wine and beer in grocery stores, but hard liquor/distilled spirits in private liquor stores. Others sell through state owned stores. Most states allow local jurisdictions to decide if they want to allow any liquor sales at all. In every state the rules for packaged and by-the-drink/ on-premises are totally separate (with the exception of minimum age requirement of 21). In Utah, at least Salt Lake City, you used to have to join a 'social club' to be able to buy a drink. In Connecticut all alcohol sales for off premises consumption, beer, wine or distilled stops at 8pm, but you can generally get a drink in a bar until midnight or 1am. In Pennsylvania you buy liquor and wine in a state store, beer full cases or kegs at a beer distributor, and up to (2) six packs at a bar (this last part changed in the past couple of years). New York, as I recall, stores that sell beer or wine had to sell at least some food/snacks and liquor stores were not allowed to sell food, so therefore they could not sell beer or wine. The oddities go on and on.

Photos added to the last two days
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

DPR,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with all of us, and sharing your images. I know it takes time and effort to write about your experiences and go through the images to post. They are all great images.
    It is sincerely appreciated.
    JRR

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    You will get the chance to learn about US liquor laws.
    I still believe Americans have never quite gotten over prohibition.
    The thing that really used to piss me off in California was the supermarkets. You would rock up at the checkout with groceries and beer/wine and they would put the alcohol aside and ring all the groceries through THEN ask for your ID before they would run the alcohol through the scanners. Obviously it was standard procedure to ensure that if you were too young to buy alcohol they would still get you for the rest of the groceries but I found it stupid and infantile especially as the check out clerk was usually underage anyway.

We had another enjoyable day. Dinosaur National Monument has a great unexcavated bone wall perhaps 50 feet high and 300 feet long with arbitrarily a 1,000 bones sticking out of it including complete articulate spinal chords. After they excavated down 50 feet and removed heaps of material they decided to leave a portion of the bone bed for posterity so people could appreciate how rich the deposits are/were. I walked in the exit andd gaped at the first portion I saw, it took a couple minutes for the ranger to come up and tell me it's more impressive to enter the actual entrance (she said she didn't want to interrupt my the awestruck moment).

We also very much enjoyed another rangers guides 1.5hr guided bush walk (she was a geologist and had specifically targeted her studies to get her this job that she wanted from childhood). She showed us how the discoverer selected rocks of the right age and then targeted stream-beds (which he identified from the mix of sediment particle sizes and preserved wave ripples in the sandbars). She then showed us how to identify the bones as we walked. Very informative and again all worth the big detour.

We finished with the 4th major dinosaur museum at Fruita called the Dinosaur Journey Museum. I'm so glad we didn't only do that museum because by comparison it blew chunks. It was very nearly the only museum we did but our last minute decision to detour 5hrs out of our way to do the others was in hindsight a wise decision. If you're going past Fruita by all means do the Journey Museum but otherwise give it the big skip as it is vastly dumbed down to the point a 5 year old wouldn't learn much and is full of animatronics and I'm not sure it displays any bone. Given the area is full of bone deposits and finds this feels criminal.

I won't tell you which town we're in tonight because I'm about to say I have never seen such a sickly looking bunch of people and that's including my travels through Asia. It stands out starkly from my experience of the rest of the USA where I'd say Americans of both sexes are a good looking mob.

Photos added 11pm
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 05-24-2013 at 09:51 PM.

DPR; Well, even if we never do actually meet, we have one thing in common I have been there. As I posted earlier, I had an uncle that lived in this area and we went to Dinosaur Nat. Monument on one of our trips out to see him. AS I was quite young at the time, more than 50 years ago, some things are likely to have changed. It is still one of the most sparsely settled areas of the lower 48. Only the scenery and those museums provide any kind of a draw for tourists.
    Falconest174
    Facebook: