Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    The desert in May i.e. Sanoran and Mojave tend to be in the upper 90's to low 100's, but still cool at night.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

DPR, i strongly suggest paying Sedona Arizona a visit, its absolutely gorgeous and lends for amazing photos!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Wow too much to see in California/Arizona and too little time. I'm going to have to savagely cull these west coast ideas since I've committed to get to New York.

What route should I drive from Texas to Chicago and what should I look for in scenery? We're not big on the whole pop culture Elvis thing.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Wow only just caught up with this it sounds like a fantastic trip DPR. I hope you are in training for it as It's going to be exhausting, nicely exhausting but exhausting non the less. The guys are giving you great local advice and that is what you will need. plus a good upto date US sat nav. Don't underestimate how useful a time saver in the cities the sat nav will be plus make sure you take detailed maps as well just for the odd times the sat nav goes pear shaped. I can only add advice as a tourist myself for some of your stops. Yosemite was fantastic we only had a day (two nights) there so did a short half day coach tour to get a guide round and then followed up with some quick extra visits on our own. Actually we did a guided tram tour in San Fran as well which did the same thing pre exploring ourselves. With limited time it's a good tactic to use. The Grand Canyon is awesome plus the Hoover Dam on the route. Whatever you do don't miss the Canyon out. Talking theme parks we liked Universal the best but did visit Disney as well it's definitely a day each if it's busy. Been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton as well on a different trip and if you are in any way into military aircraft it is a definite must and you can take photos in there too! I'd allow a day for this although half a day would do for a whistle stop visit. I also agree with whoever said go to Washington I've found it a lovely city and the Smithsonian Museums are brilliant Air and Space one did it for me. New York is also great and I'm sure Rich will see you right there. Sunset from the top of the Rockafella building was the highlight for me. If you go to B&H be prepared to spend some cash, it's an amaizing shop experience in it's own right too. One final comment is to look at the Trip Advisor web forums as well - we got some really good advice from there. Oh and a request can I come too!!! if only Hope you have a great time and I look forward to the travelogue you said you'd post.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    much as I'd say to someone arrogant enough to come to Australia and drive from Cairns to Perth in 4 weeks.
    Not quite the same. If you took the inland route the only major city you would go anywhere near is Adelaide and you'd knock the trip off in 5 or 6 days of constant but not excessive driving. In fact I suspect you could probably easily do the whole route without traffic lights outside the two city boundaries.
    Try the same distance with 300 million people in between, spectacular natural landscape, hugely interesting man made attractions and it gets complicated.

For your NYC stop, don't forget B&H is closed on Saturdays. If you can include the North rim of the Grand Canyon do it. Very few people in the US manage to get there and it is less crowded and quite different from the bust south rim. The north rim opens right around mid-May. It is however, a long drive out of the way. I have been there twice, but not for over a decade now. Much cooler temps there as well.

As noted, that isn't quite the peak tourist season, which is really more of the second half of June through first half of August. It should be pretty ideal timing, really. Be aware that many of the higher elevations in California and "Colorado" will be snowed in still, I'm not sure how much those figure in your itinerary. I do think you need to drastically reduce your stops in the western half, there can be a lot of distance between some of these places. Also, the drive from Texas to Illinois will probably not be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Wow too much to see in California/Arizona and too little time. I'm going to have to savagely cull these west coast ideas since I've committed to get to New York.

What route should I drive from Texas to Chicago and what should I look for in scenery? We're not big on the whole pop culture Elvis thing.
    There is only one (fairly interesting) way from Texas to Chicago. I40 to Nashville then I65 through Indianapolis and Gary Indiana to Chicago. I like Chicago, but it's not exactly a tourist destination... Sears (Willis) Tower? Jazz Clubs? Wrigley Field? Shoreline Drive? Lake Michigan?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by D70FAN View Post
    I like Chicago, but it's not exactly a tourist destination...
    I have three words to say to you.

The Blues Brothers!

Too bad you can't add 5 hours to your Chicago drive and come North to Wisconsin. Beautiful scenery, nature, landscape, nice colors. Midwest truly is a beautiful place!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!