Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

SONY follow-through

For those who do not realize it, when you invest in your first DSLR-type of camera, you are "marrying" yourself to a "relationship" with a "SYSTEM." It is not
    the typical "one-item" purchase, such as a cell phone, gaming-station or Point&Shoot camera.

Initially, you have the base-camera and then you begin to slowly add item after item, to build it into your dream-image capture system. It is not an overnight process,
    to be sure... and usually requires significant cash investment and negotiation with your significant other to spend these rather sizable funds (this part of the hobby is,
    usually, quite ugly). You will be dedicated to using a specific lens mount and, initially, the electronic flash offerings that work with that particular "system" that you
    decided to go with. In other words, unless you want to waste a ton of money in a nasty "divorce", you are SO stuck with what you decided upon!

Currently (and over the past three years), SONY has overtly embarked at cleverly (or otherwise) divorcing itself from the original Minolta-style ALPHA-system that
    "brought it to the dance," so to speak. They have pushed ahead and introduced an entirely new mounting system for their own style of lensing, are abandoning the
    Minolta-1995 proprietary flash shoe, are returning to ISO-style flash devices and have totally removed the flip-up mirror portion of the DSLR resulting in
    exclusive use of "mirrorless" or DSLT technology.

Looking back at these changes, tends to make you suspicious of where all your rapidly aging expensive equipment investment is going to wind up.

Well, here's a really clear image for ya...

Name:  trash-heap.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  1.79 MB

THIS is the near-future nightmare that is closing in on the past decade of your SONY investment. I know, I am living it.

Look around, fellow investor... maybe you can find a "SONY-to-SONY" adapter to try and put this "marriage-from-hell" back together.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-03-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I wound up finding myself accused of "bickering" by a SONY proponent, but I feel that nothing could be further from the truth... or much more demeaning of the intent
    or purpose of posting discussion and ideas. I believe that we all take up photography for various reasons and its intensity has no throttle. Having some one disagree is
    one thing, to have them suppress criticism is ignoble and ultimately disrespectful to well intentioned discussion. Of course, the road to hell is paved with good intentions,
    you have to have one side to truly appreciate the other.

To clarify: I saw that SONY has, effectively, lopped off the DSLR "back end" of all my Alpha-mount lenses and replaced it with some other device (not a DSLR). It was
    simply a fact. Over the past several years, the "SONY proponent" had gone to enormous lengths to discuss this change with these manufacturing people... and I am
    quite sure it was not with the idea that the a99 or any of its ilk would be the "final" result. Why is that bickering? Maybe an attack of conscience, but the true
    disappointment is in not getting what I had understood I had bought into, plain and simple. A reasonable expectation was put forth and most, if not all, purchasers of the
    camera system were of like mind.

Time and again (and I won't go to the indulgence of pointing out each instance that has occurred, over the past several years) there have been dozens of posted "polls"
    requesting just what the members and participants of this and other forums wanted to see in SONY's "next release." Personally, I saw, time and again, sound-thinking
    offered. I mean people standing up and offering all kinds of wonderful, realistic and necessary ideas and suggestions to perpetuate a solid improvement in SONY(Minolta)
    digital photography, beginning the 21st Century... and that's bickering, right?

I do believe that a re-thought of positioning is in store, here... and not the simple dismissal of a point of view, that still has the real heart of our chosen SYSTEM at its core.

Again, this "SONY proponent" may have had some "conversion" that I am not privy to... and that would be whatever it would be. Yes, change happens. My system still
    needs a "new & improved" DSLR at its heart and SONY is the only manufacturer that is licensed to build such a device for the rest of us (yes, the silent majority is included,
    here). None of my glass has changed its shape or mount. Some of it is twenty-years old or more. I spent thousands upon thousands of some very hard-earned dollars, with
    the very reasonable expectation of it lasting a whole lot longer... and I have no reason to believe that it will not (barring an asteroid-strike or some other major mishap).

When I go into a SONY Store... I can see what we got for all our waiting for the "new & improved" DSLR. That's right... there is no more DSLR. It's all the temperature-
    challenged DSLT-design.

This is not bickering, my friends. It represents a failure to proceed. It's more like having 10,000 gallons of gasoline... and forced into an electric car, instead of that brilliant
    gas-powered luxury-sedan still left sitting on the drawing boards. The gasoline was cheap, well-suited for the purpose and still quite usable, but the powers that be insist
    that you use their new electric powered vehicle. You have no alternative but to let your powerful gasoline reserve turn to varnish!

I have to admit, that this investment of time and photographic energy was not a wise one... but, we did have a run.

Good luck to everyone who came along for the ride.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-07-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You're talking in riddles. Who is the accusing you of anything ? No one I can see.

don't make me dig up posts where I did warn you about sonys business model and I did warn you that given imaging is not Sony's core business they will never seek to overrun the big 2, (who have their own issues), in the professional market. It's just not part of Sony's MO. Never has been. They are a consumer electronics company for the masses plain and simple. That's why the knocked it out of the park with the nex models. I cant see the alpha mount disappearing anytime soon anyway so I don't really know what the issue is...I hope your not still banging on about radio flash...
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

No, Rooz, it is not you, mate.

It's somewhere else and this is a veiled reference. It addresses the ISO-adapter nonsense, to be quite focused and honest about it.

Yes, the flash suite has been my worst experience, of late. SONY is not a "friendly" bunch when it comes to third-party, which you
    would be well-aware of if you had to pipe it all together. Now, just when some third-party companies FINALLY start to take a chance,
    SONY changes everything, just like Minolta did when they introduced the proprietary hot-shoe in 1995.

I guess the idea of having to wait another four-years for EVERY high-end design change has me furious and it definitely a source of
    gray-hair. The mere idea of having to wait another 4 to make a proper change? That is sheer lunacy... and that is where the buck stops.
    I am done throwing money at this UNTIL someone puts it all together... PROPERLY. I'll live with what I have.

Besides, the smiles still look the same.

What to say? I am truly frustrated.

flickr & Sdi