Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Why turn IS off when using a tripod?

In some reviews here I read it's good to turn a camera's Image Stabilization off when using a tripod. Why?
    Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS15.

The IS is supposed to introduce movement if everything is fixed solid. I thought I was getting that once and then realised that I had my camera in portrate mode and it was rotating on the screw/base plate on long exposures!

One website I read said to keep it on if you are using a long lens on a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    One website I read said to keep it on if you are using a long lens on a tripod.
    Only if you are using a long lens on a cheap tripod or a tripod not strong enough for the weight.
    IS (or VR or OIS) combats human induced shake and when you have your camera mounted on a proper tripod there is no shake therefore there is nothing to combat therefore the IS can induce blur in images by trying to correct something that is not present.
    You also turn IS off at fast shutter speeds. Anything faster than about 1/500 sec will have no shake induced blur regardless of the lens length. Having IS on in these circumstances just slows down focus aquisition.

In my experience even a slight breeze at 400mm causes some shake. Unfortunately my 400mm has no IS so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks for the replies.
    Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS15.