Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revised DCRP forum format

Jeff,

If the forum is to continue as you have indicated it will I believe that as it will no longer be associated with the DCRP web site and as the active membership is small a major simplification is in its best interest.

Get everybody together and get all those remaining talking to each other rather than as at the moment closeted in their own little brand specific domains.

I propose that there should only be a few categories as follows;

Introductions - where new members can say hi. Hopefully this will become a busy place.

General - any general photography chat.

Hardware - questions or advice or tips and tricks relating to hardware. all bands together.

Software - the software version of hardware.

Pictures - a place where pictures can be posted so you could for example have the Canon picture of the day and the Nikon picture of the day threads one above the other.

There could be a couple of sub groups I guess like landscape pictures or portraits but I wouldn't want to see more than a couple.

Forums need a sense of activity to thrive and with the remaining tiny membership it will be important for there to be an appearance of activity to keep the place going.

Old no longer relevent sections and threads could be posted to an archive area where they could be locked and still visible to search engines.

Yes sounds like a good idea to me.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Good ideas K1W1. I will still be around.
    In regard to the revised format, and I believe there has to be, maybe Nikon and/or Canon picture of the day is no longer relevant? There is only a handful of posters left anyway in either one. Maybe they should be combined to DCR picture of the day thread? Just a thought...
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    In regard to the revised format, and I believe there has to be, maybe Nikon and/or Canon picture of the day is no longer relevant? There is only a handful of posters left anyway in either one. Maybe they should be combined to DCR picture of the day thread? Just a thought...
    Exactly, simplify the whole thing and get everybody together. The more action there is in threads the more people will keep coming back and join in. Look through the thread list now at the last post dates, some go back several years. They can be kept in an archived area for reference but a new person looking at this forum today will assume, rightly imo that the place is a desert island. Six-ten sections with current posts and daily activity is way better than 30 with no obvious activity.

I'm all for making it much smaller. I don't personally like the idea of sub threads for portrait, landscape etc cos I have to click too many times. But I do like the idea of every ILC posting in the same main forum.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I think top level category reduction is a good idea. I would probably split hardware into a couple of camera types; DSLR, ILC, P&S. There might be a reason to refine that list a bit, but not at current posting volumes; perhaps FF DSLR, smaller sensor DSLR's, general P&S and large sensor 'prosumer' P&S (the new Sony's, Fuji's, Olympus XZ series, etc., those with some manual control).

Yup. All great ideas using K1W1's post as a template. We also need to think about a group or individual to be admin(s).

Most of all we can hope that Jeff will be able to help (minimally of course) in the transition.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    I think top level category reduction is a good idea. I would probably split hardware into a couple of camera types; DSLR, ILC, P&S. There might be a reason to refine that list a bit, but not at current posting volumes; perhaps FF DSLR, smaller sensor DSLR's, general P&S and large sensor 'prosumer' P&S (the new Sony's, Fuji's, Olympus XZ series, etc., those with some manual control).
    I would rather see those sub threads evolve over time as the need arises. At the moment there simply aren't enough posts to justify that many sub threads. It will be far better to have fewer threads that are busy in the short term than lists of empty threads that make the place look to an outsider like a morgue.

Do anything to get all the remaining members together. The lesser the active forums the better, in the beginning at least. But Jeff hasn't decided what to do yet. I hope he doesn't just leave it as is.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Been on vacation so I haven't had a chance to read this thread. I'll see what I can come up with.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page