Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

12 shots from 2012

How about posting 12 shots from 2012? Anyone up for posting one per month as a look back at 2012.
    Here's my offering to kick things off.

January - my favourite local water mill converted to sepia.
    Name:  P1148002 - Copy sepia.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  338.5 KB

February - just liked the way the bumpy snow turned out in this one.
    Name:  P2118680.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  343.7 KB

March - had a great time at Focus on imaging, two beautiful models Ola and the OM-D. Didn't come home with either unfortunately
    Name:  P3048996 Ola focus.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  314.6 KB

April - Hardwick Hall in the distance.
    Name:  P4019170.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  397.6 KB

May - reworked misty sunrise with lots of composition help from forum friends.
    Name:  P5210222 picasa edit-002.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  274.7 KB

June - holiday in Malta, it's a lovely place will definitely go back. Too many shots to choose from but went with this as my first attempt to capture a "blue hour" shot
    Name:  P6231097-001.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  410.9 KB

July - just liked the natural light falling on this begonia flower.
    Name:  P7181276crop.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  275.2 KB

August - this was a spur of the moment thought to see if I could get a magnified macro through water drops. The combination with the background worked much better than I'd expected.
    Name:  P8181706.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  328.1 KB

September - finally got a bug shot with my 35mm macro without it flying off.
    Name:  P9162144-crop.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  316.6 KB

October - not a particularly brilliant shot but a fun memory for me of Top Gear Live. The thought of a Lambo tractor still tickles me.
    Name:  PA282648crop.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  339.8 KB

November and December to follow
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Final two

November - had to include this as it was such a happy accident. Definitely not a shot I was expecting to look like anything but strangely after some "I'm feeling lucky" processing in Picassa I quite like it.
    Name:  PB063057 - CopyCrop.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  440.3 KB

December - a little mix of industry and nature, a bit of a soft spot of mine and a definite New Year Resolution to try more in 2013.
    Name:  PC023229edit.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  403.5 KB

If anyones still here thanks for looking and have a Happy New Year shooting.
    Here's hoping this forum lives long and prospers.

Very cool idea, Phill. Your photos are great! I really enjoyed August and November.

Here are my contributions.

January - My Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula

February - My Crested Gecko

March - My African Emperor Scorpion with her offspring

April - Wolf Spider

May - Shield-Backed Katydid

June - My Son's Tree Frog

July - Texas Horned Lizard (Horned Toad)

August - My Skink

September - Milk Snail

October - My Chinese Water Dragon

Continued...
    --
    BlindEye

The last of mine...

November - Crab Spider

December - Something for Christmas... My Madagascar Day Gecko

Thanks for looking,
    -Brandon
    --
    BlindEye

Is this intended to be the best shot of each month or the most representative of that months activities? Phill, Feb, May and December are my favorites from you. Mostly because they're more my style and they are composed really well. Feb has the weakest comp of the ones I listed, but it makes up for it in texture.

blindeye, your post was kind of cool and kind of gross. :P Feb and June are my favorites from you. Love the details on the lizards.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I like what I see here. For a look at what I consider my NINETEEN best shots of 2012 please take a look here:http://danwiz.com/Bestof2012/BestPage2012.php. How did I arrive at 19? Well I took a look at all of my best shots from 2012, narrowed it down to about 32 and then narrowed it again and just could not get below 19.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Is this intended to be the best shot of each month or the most representative of that months activities? Phill, Feb, May and December are my favorites from you. Mostly because they're more my style and they are composed really well. Feb has the weakest comp of the ones I listed, but it makes up for it in texture.

blindeye, your post was kind of cool and kind of gross. :P Feb and June are my favorites from you. Love the details on the lizards.
    I didn't approach this as either the "best of" or "representative of," rather I just skimmed my catalog for anything I had rated fairly high and picked one per month. That's about as close to random as I get.

Thanks Lukas. I get very mixed reactions to my chosen subject matter. I enjoy both the "cool" and the "gross" responses. Lizards are by far my favorite subjects, but I probably shoot insects/invertebrates more often.

-Brandon
    --
    BlindEye

Quote Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
    I like what I see here. For a look at what I consider my NINETEEN best shots of 2012 please take a look here:http://danwiz.com/Bestof2012/BestPage2012.php. How did I arrive at 19? Well I took a look at all of my best shots from 2012, narrowed it down to about 32 and then narrowed it again and just could not get below 19.
    Hi Danwiz. I know what you mean, sort of... As I was skimming, I had to make several decisions for some months... For other months, I was barely able to find something I was willing to share.

Of your 19, my favorite is #4, Cherry Tree at Sabane-yama. I'm not certain why I like it more than the others, but I kept going back to it. I like the ethereal feel of it. They are all quite good, though.
    -Brandon
    --
    BlindEye

Brandon I love crisp sharp shots and those are really ace. Brilliant thanks for joining in. Of all of them it's December that works best for me its a super image but best of all it just made me laugh.
    Lukas to be honest it's whatever you want to post from each month. It can be the one you are most proud of or the best memory or just the best of a bad month, if you ever have bad ones It was just meant to be a bit of fun really to help keep the forum going. Go on post a set, you could always turn them into a calendar.
    Danwiz I agree it is often difficult to pick just 12 some months are definitely better than others for me at least. I can see why you had trouble cutting down to 12 though you have some lovely shots in there. For some reason though it's the moon shot that is my favourite. Can't explain why it just is.
    Keep em coming guys I'm looking forward to many more posts.

Normally I do this as 12 from any part of the year as I've been a very seasonal photographer up to this point. I'm hoping to change that this year though. The middle part of the year has typically been very slow for me, so I've included some random stuff that represents that month instead of my best photo.

January - Lower Cathedral Lake, Yosemite - Last winter we didn't get much rain or snow. As a result we had some frozen lakes in the high country that would normally be covered in snow. It became pretty popular with ice skaters so I made the hike up to Cathedral in search of a more pristine ice surface.
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  750.3 KB

February - Gray Whale Cove - Nothing special to say about this one. Just another night out on the coast close to home. I thought it was going to be a shutout due to the cloud cover, but for a few moments the light found a gap. This was one of those f/8 and be there situations.
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  342.4 KB

March - Labyrinth by the Bay - Out in search of a new spot to photograph under these gorgeous clouds we stumbled upon this labyrinth. I'd seen pictures of it before but didn't know exactly where it was. A nice surprise that resulted in one of my favorite photos from the year.
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  745.3 KB

April - Yosemite Valley - I left the Bay Area at 1 am with a photography buddy of mine to shoot the snow covered valley at sunrise. We returned back home around midday as I had a birthday party to attend. It was quite a fruitful and exhausting trip.
    Name:  04.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  511.5 KB

May - North Coast - Let the drought begin! This was taken on a trip to photograph the redwoods up north. It turned out to be a bust so you guys are stuck with this whacky self portrait from a scouting trip down to a remote beach.
    Name:  05.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  614.4 KB

June - Art Shows - The past few years I've been doing art shows. It's been pretty hit and miss. This was one of my last ones. I'm not a salesman, so I'm going to get back to taking photographs for myself.
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  626.4 KB

To be continued...
    Last edited by TheWengler; 01-16-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr