Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.

iPad D200 connection

Did some googling on the topic, but didn't find much recent. What I am hoping to do is some tethered (or non-tethered) shooting where the iPad can be used as an instant review screen. I realize that live view isn't an option, nor do I really care about camera control, but it would be nice if the image could be immediately viewed after pulling the trigger without having to do a file import. Not terribly useful for action or walkabout shots, but I think for static macro and portrait shots it would be great.

Thanks for any assistance.

Rod
    Critique most definitely desired...

Nvm, have to google the right term. Anybody actually using some of the options?

I've not done tethered shooting but Lightroom supportsit, however does Lightroom run on an iPad?
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

It doesnt look like it . I really am unimpressed with the options I see available to me.

A D200 is too old I suspect it was released in 2006 and obsoleted in 2009. The first iPad came out in 2010 and Apple in particular has a way of ignoring anything in the past with their products.

There are tethered shooting options available for the iPad and things like D300 and newer cameras. Whether they will work with the D200 is I guess a matter of trial and error. You best bet may be wirelessly via an EyeFi card.

Lightroom will definitely not run on an iPad it's crazy for anybody to even think that it might.
    Last edited by K1W1; 01-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks for the info, Kiwi. I'll check some of the D300 options as the EyeFi card option doesn't thrill me. Have you used any of the D300 tethering options?

As for Lightroom, I don't think its crazy at all to expect to find a Lightroom app of some sort. I'm seeing more and more ports of a variety of software to the iPad.

Lightroom is a data base based XML program how do you expect to integrate the catalogues between an iPad and a computer when you can't even automatically sync between two computers or across a network?
    Adobe have an iPad app - Photoshop Express but I've never liked it much. Snapseed is my iPad app of choice.

I believe that Photosmith is something you might want to look into. From thier website, "Photosmith’s fundamental purpose is to enable you to move your photos seamlessly and safely between your camera, your iPad, and your Lightroom catalog"

Regardless of apps I don't think that an iPad is a really serious photo editing device anyway. Sure for quick edits, rotation, a bit of cropping and maybe an exposure adjustment and posting to the web it's great but to start editing by using your finger for detailed editing is simply not accurate (as in pointy) enough as I am concerned.
    The other thing to keep in mind is that the iPad does not address RAW files at all. If you import .NEFs to an iPad what you see on the screen and edit are the embedded jpegs not the .NEF file itself. With this limitation alone I'm not sure how any App can truly integrate with LR because you aren't saving any adjustment info to the RAW file as far as I know.
    I find my iPad great for reviews, initial screening of photos (delete the duds), quick web uploads when travelling and that sort of stuff but I would never consider it suitable for editing I really cared about. That's my experience but maybe others have a different view.

Should make the Surface Pro an interesting product for photographers.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/