Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D60

Nikon D60

Advice anyone?
    I have a Nikon D60 with standard 18-55mm lens and an additional Tamron 70-300mm lens. Recently the pictures I've taken with the 18-55mm lens the 'white or light' parts of the pictures have all turned a pink colour. I've been told that this is likely to be the sensor damage and that it will need replacing.

I've had the camera for about 3 and a half years. Should I cut my losses and buy a new D60 body, or upgrade to something better?

Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks

Get a new body. D5100 cameras are awfully cheap these days with a rather noticeable improvement in picture quality and high ISO/low light performance.

Though test your lenses on another camera body just to be sure it is your D60, and not your lenses.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

I'd also vote for scrapping the D60 after testing the lens again. I note you implied it only did it on the 18-55 not with the 70-300 on, this makes it sound more like the lens in knackered than the body.

If you are updating the body by necessity or desire then Tom Hogan's been pointing out a bit lately that Nikon are behind in updating all the DX cameras bar the most basic, his suggestion is the best image quality is currently the D3100. Unless you use the extra functionality on the D5100 you may consider going down a body.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.
    Not having experienced this before, but is it possible he's got some kind of white balance issue, versus a hardware issue?
    Critique most definitely desired...

Many thanks for the advice. For my own sanity, I'm going to re-test both lenses to make sure it is just the 18-55 one or indeed both lenses (I'm pretty sure that it is just the 18-55 one).

Having been given the initial advice I've been looking at the new D5200 is it 'that much' better than the D5100?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    his suggestion is the best image quality is currently the D3100.
    I think he said D3200

I will ask the blindlingly obvious question that nobody else has. have you checked your white balance settings?

You're right D3200, as I'm not in the market for it I hadn't paid full attention to the model number

Quote here:
    What it boils down to is this:

CX -- you got one warmed over update, and one with more pixels that don't deliver more in a body that fixes the mode dial/control problem but now requires yet another battery and has an EVF that isn't as good. No best here.
    DX -- only the entry level camera is current. That update gives you the best DX image quality in the worst DX body. If you're new to Nikon DSLRs and on a budget, you'll like that. If you're already using a Nikon DSLR, as most of this site's visitors are, you won't. No best here.
    FX -- the lineup has been completely refreshed (if you consider the D800 the D3x substitute), and all three cameras are capable of great image quality. Yet all three came with frictions that mitigated the joy that would be generated by that great image quality. Assuming that you got one that worked right from the beginning, the D800 would be clearly the best here. Assuming that you don't mind doing a lot of extra sensor cleaning early on, the D600 is the best value, by far. And if you truly need to squeeze out a few more in focus frames a second in low light, the D4 is still a contender.

Link to full article here: http://www.bythom.com/2012%20Nikon%20News.htm
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Someone here or elsewhere suggested once to clean the metal contacts on their lenses with an eraser, try that on your 18-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    DX -- only the entry level camera is current.
    That comment from Thom Hogan was because the D5200 was not available in the U.S when he typed up that article; it is available now. Though both the D3200/D5200 are both considered entry level models.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mitch979 View Post
    Many thanks for the advice. For my own sanity, I'm going to re-test both lenses to make sure it is just the 18-55 one or indeed both lenses (I'm pretty sure that it is just the 18-55 one).

Having been given the initial advice I've been looking at the new D5200 is it 'that much' better than the D5100?

Thanks again
    Yeah, if it's just the one lens, it's not the sensor, something is strangely wrong with the 18-55, if that's the case.

My first thought was what Diamond suggested, a white balance issue, but if it's only happening with the 18-55, i don't see how.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Hi everyone

I took some more pictures with both lenses (18-55 & 70-300) on the Auto setting they both have this pink hue for the sky. I then took some pictures on the P setting and adjusted the white balance and both lenses showed the sky a normal colour.

Although I still get a faint green...ish band down the left hand side. (another issue?)

I've taken the camera into a repair shop to be told that it's, and I quote, 'A catastrophic software failure'... nice.

He just suggested to ditch and but a bridge camera, however I would still like to be able to use the lenses, unless this green band is a lense fault?

So, should I just give up and go and buy some paper and a pencil and learn to draw or buy another body?

Thanks in advance