Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Which is your SONY camera (DSLR/DSLT) for 2013 ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • a900/a850

3 50.00%
  • a99

0 0%
  • a700

1 16.67%
  • a77

1 16.67%
  • a65

0 0%
  • a33/35/37/55/57

0 0%
  • NEX-7

0 0%
  • NEX5 or variant

0 0%
  • DSLR (a400-series/a300-series/a200-series)

2 33.33%
  • I'm no longer shooting SONY in 2013 (I was a former SONY DSLR/DSLT owner)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Road's end, ahead?

Well, we're definitely not going to set the world on fire with the response to this.

I believe with SONY's active disregard of the needs of advanced user... there has been a migration... and it is not to SONY.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I believe with SONY's active disregard of the needs of advanced user... there has been a migration... and it is not to SONY.
    The majority of the world thinks Sony's moving in the right direction, so they ARE taking care of the needs of advanced users. You're just mad because they are not doing what only YOU want. You won't be happy with any other camera maker either, so just copy/paste your complaints and change Sony for whatever brand you go with.

I'd like to know how don knows what an advanced user wants.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Disposable thinking

Okay, I probably should be uncharacteristically brief, here:

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    I'd like to know how don knows what an advanced user wants.
    I tend to believe that it is because I'm not using my cell phone as my camera and the four years of concentrated "light and shadow" training. Then again, who knows?

The plight of the modern "still" photographer, for the foreseeable future is "NOISE!" You can get away with a heck of a lot, making movies. Noise is usually only detectable in non-moving shots, where walls settle down and... "Eek! There it is!" You can watch some current television programming to see this awful effect.

I never laid claim to being a top-drawer photog. Far from it. I have been and continue to be an "experimenter." I like fooling around with the gear and trying the ragged edge, occasionally. What I would like is a solid "Photo Suite" controller-camera, which would have complete mastery over flash attachments, remote triggering of the shutter... and even satellite communication (both GPS and telephone/network connection) for field work. Of course, all this on the menu-screen, as part of the firmware, where devices "check-in" and offer their additional features to the camera. That's my dream machine.

I noticed a new "voice-controlled" design from Samsung being advertised. While this requires the pick-up microphone be within "ear-shot" of the user... and perhaps, limited ambient noise levels to be reliable... it is still a cool advancement. Using words such as "Shoot" (how clever), "Record Video" and "Video Stop".

I still contend that uninterrupted-RF would seem the most reliable way to get what you want from your photographic tool of choice. To me, strong advances in that field of endeavor would be the most desirable.

Again, it all may be dust-in-the-wind, as many third-party manufacturers are thriving on this technological shortfall from the major manufacturers... and that is just sad. No matter how good a photographer I might be, I figure this still deserves a major "one-finger salute" to the big boys. So say me all.

Again, modern society may play a major role in diminishing the importance of technical perfection in these devices, with the throw-away tendencies we are suffer from, these days. Consider, most people, in the 1960s, kept their home telephone for nearly 20 years. In contrast, today's cellular phone... maybe 20 months... mainly because of contractual requirements. No contract... until the newest model arrives.

It is the same with SONY and this generation. Buy now, until round two, round three... etc. Buy the NEW THING! Expectations are just so different. It is hard to deal with if you have a "deep stake" in improving the gear. Maybe we should say: "The advanced-aged user" People who can still appreciate keeping something around for more than ten-minutes.

For anyone under 30, they just do not know any better. It is truly appreciated by those over forty-five. I watched the transition back in the 1980s, as "black-box" replacements became the rule of the day and "repair-to-the-component-level" just disappeared.

Arguing that I am out of the loop, Rooz, is pointless. The loop no longer exists for most people. You simply have to tolerate the whims of the corporate decision-makers. Philosophical exchanges between the little guy and design... do not exist any more. They just design around it.

Please do not get me wrong, here... it would be delightful to have the manufacturer's ear on design improvements. Even just a written suggestion box, of sorts, but SONY saw fit to close that when the sight went down a few years ago. They were done discussing or entertaining anything looking like dissent, apparently. That is the way to the world, these days... and I, for one, do not care for it in the least. LOG THAT!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-29-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I don't know about the rest of you, but the weather is definitely shifting to the better and I have cosidered that instead of wasting $3000 on an a99... I may just put down on a Corvette ZR1 instead and race it around Chicago, driving the locals crazy, as I hold my a850 and self-portrait the car and myself... doing donuts in front of the Willis Tower! Yeah. it &;30am, here, in the town of Fire and I just finished a 10-hour shift and am looking at that 40-minute drive home, in the Avalanche Z71. Now, let's face it... that same drive could very well be a mere 20 minutes... in the ZR1! Of course, excluding the obligatory traffic stops for tickets.

Well, a guy can dream.

flickr & Sdi