Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: Which is your SONY camera (DSLR/DSLT) for 2013 ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • a900/a850

3 50.00%
  • a99

0 0%
  • a700

1 16.67%
  • a77

1 16.67%
  • a65

0 0%
  • a33/35/37/55/57

0 0%
  • NEX-7

0 0%
  • NEX5 or variant

0 0%
  • DSLR (a400-series/a300-series/a200-series)

2 33.33%
  • I'm no longer shooting SONY in 2013 (I was a former SONY DSLR/DSLT owner)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 - What does it mean?

Okay, how about a forum line-up? What camera are you expecting to use to provide images, this new year?

Personally, I'm still sticking with the a850 until SONY delivers a fully capable Full Frame Controller Camera.

I apologize for not listing the a500-series... please use the DSLR poll entry. (Thank you. )
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow, SONY is in trouble, eh? Two users voting? That's bad news.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You do realize this site is closing up shop very soon, don't you?
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

No... where was that stated?

flickr & Sdi

There is a thread here.

Very sad news about the forum.

As for your poll and question Don, I will continue to use my a900 in 2013. My Sigma 28-90 lens died at the end of 2012 during my Media and the Photographic Profession class. So, I replaced it with the Tamron 28-70 f2.8.

And while the poll did not ask the question, I will also continue shooting large format 4x5 film. I'll probably use both cameras during next semester's class, "Lens Culture" which will cover a mix of street and documentary photography.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Darin,

I am unaware of a Tamron 28-70 lens. Tamron, as far as I know, has two currently out there, for the SONY Mount: the SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Macro and the very new SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di USD. There isn't a hybrid, so please understand my confusion.

I have the aforementioned TAMRON 28-75 and the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM IF... and the reason I brought the new 24-70mm f/2.8 was the flatter edge focus it provides. It's a bit quieter, too, but I don't really care about that. It just provides as close to a PRIME performance as I have seen. The SONY Zeiss 24-70 may have a slight edge on the SIGMA, in contrast, but it is so close, I do not feel the cost justifies it. The SIGMA is my base lens, for the most part, riding on the a850 most of the time. I have the TAMRON 28-75 on my a700, as a back up system. Because the 28-75 is "Di" lens and not a "Di-II" lens, it works on both Full Frame and APS-C sensor rigs. Once I purchased the a850 camera, I quickly sold my TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD as "excess", even though it was a sure-fire great lens, otherwise, it would have never seen further use.

I must say, experience has shown me that straddling both types of sensors with appropriate lenses is rather awkward. If I had to do it over, I'd have two FF cameras.

One of the new lenses that came out recently has caught my attention and it is the brand new SIGMA 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM ($899). It's price is a far cry from the SONY 35mm f/1.4 G (currently $1499). I've been really pleased with SIGMA's newest efforts, considering the awful problems they had in the past (pre-2009), often requiring that the lens be returned for focus tuning, right out of the box. TAMRON had a much better track record, back then.

Name:  sigma35f14dghsm.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  42.1 KB

If you are into bokeh, this new 35mm could be a lens to focus in on (sorry, why waste a cliche'?). It has a 67mm filter ring, so it uses a TAMRON-sized filter, like the one you would use on the SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR DI LD Macro lens. If figure, if you're into using the 28-75 range, this would be a dandy lens to offer that artistic, softer quality to your images. It also is a heck of a "light-grabber."

Keeping with the theme of the posting, though, 2013 promises to be a year of significant challenge with the DSLT population encroaching on the DSLRs. Obviously, if SONY pulls out the stops and adds the meaningful additions (remote flash control, decent remote shutter release and WiFi) to the a99... the pros just might take notice.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

BTW: The a99 does have remote tether control. Way to go, SONY! Add the RF flash system control and we're in business. Software: Remote Camera Control (RCC) Ver. 3.0
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2013 at 10:32 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

It was a typo. It is the SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Macro. I needed a replacement lens for that range. The Tamron fit in my budget whereas the Sigma did not. Going with the Tamron also allowed me to put the balance of my budget towards getting the Vertical Grip for the a900 which I should be able to order soon.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I would think that getting a used grip on ebay might be possible, with everyone hopping off to get their hot off the press "a99"!

Keep your eye sharp and save some cash.

Don't get me wrong about the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM IF choice. It took a while for SIGMA to even produce this lens and the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Macro is still the unmatched king for the cash! Best bang for the buck option there is, bar none.

If you go through the discussions in other threads concerning this lens, you have made the perfect choice, if you are stingy. I just got to the point where the instructors were looking a lot closer at my edge focus and the lens could not deliver the goods. That ticked me off. So, I made a choice... and it was either the SONY CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 or the brand new SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM IF. There's $600 currently separating these lenses... and I opted to spend the savings I got on the first SIGMA for still another SIGMA, the ultra wide-angle zoom 12-24mm f/4-5.6 DG EX, which opened the entire bottom to my shooting. Two great lenses for the price of one... c'mon, let's go shoot something.

Anyway, I got my superior grades, with my produced work and I'm not complaining. Heck, they still have some of my work in the halls of the school. I must have done something right, eh?

Again, I still have the TAMRON... it just doesn't get the legwork, anymore.

Name:  sonya700-wT2875.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  219.5 KB

Good luck with yours, Darin.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.

flickr & Sdi