Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Which camera would be best for macro use

I have been using a Nikon CoolPix 5000 since they first came out, around 2002/3 for macro photography shooting close up pictures of collector coins. While the pictures I get from it are OK I would like to upgrade to a newer point and shoot camera that would provide better results. Besides wanting better results the camera must be able to use a remote wire or wireless shutter, fully rotatable LCD and have an A/C adapter available to buy. At present I must use the CoolPix by a window for light because everything I've tried does not provide good photos with any other light source.
    Canon recommended their powershot SX 50, Nikon recommended their 7700. I would like to stay with a point and shoot and keep the cost down to $400 ish, if the recommendation is especially good for macro photography, then any brand will do!

What ever the recommendation, the camera will most likely spend 90% of it's life on my old "enlarger" now a heavy duty up and down adjustable camera stand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ralph
    Last edited by ralphac; 12-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.

I have a Canon SX 40 and am very disappointed and frustrated with trying to use it for macro work. I primarily take photos of tiny flowers and this camera is VERY often absolutely unable to focus at close range. Then, one has to switch to Manual Mode, which works, but the point is that it does take longer and sometimes it gets so very frustrating that I just want to take this camera and throw it as far as I can.

Reviews are fine - as far as they go - but in reviews they do everything under laboratory conditions, with perfect lighting, flat conditions, etc. In the field sometimes the sun is behind you, sometimes in front, sometimes to the side, sometimes it's 100% overcast, flowers are not flat, etc., etc.

So, if you decide on the SX50 I would want to keep this in mind and actually find someone who owns one before I bought it. It is the replacement for the SX40!

As a side note I kept my Nikon CP990 specifically for macro shots. While it is only a 3MP sensor I can easily focus down to ~2cm so it is a frame filler with plenty of detail. Used with a light box (home-made) it gives great results. Unfortunately all of the 990 ad-shots and macros in my collection were wiped out in a disk crash (recoverable, but I have better uses for $400).

The 990 (and 995) have a rotating lens assembly, making it very easy to set up. Uses 4 AA (rechargeable) batteries. You can use the MC-EU1 remote release (although I just set the timer to avoid jitter/shake). Also the ES-E28 Slide Copier is handy as well (recovered a lot of old slides for people over the years). And the EH-31 AC adapter allowing unlimited studio use. It uses CF memory but a 512MB card will net over 300 shots.

The only (minor) drawback is the 1.8" LCD. Since you can pick one up on e-bay/amazon for less than $80 it might be worth a try.

Newer isn't always better. For more info... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp990
    Last edited by D70FAN; 04-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I wish somebody would help us with an answer to this one. I have become so very frustrated with my Canon SX40 HS that I have stopped using it (and reverted back to my Canon S5-IS). Seeing as this is spring flowers time of the year, about 85% - 90% of my shots are macro shots and I just don't want to take the time to use Manual Focus with 200 shots a day (or thereabouts). I am looking now at the Panasonic DMC-FZ60K - which is within my price range and also offers a decent amount of Zoom for those long scenic shots which I sometimes like to take.

Then go with the Panasonic.

Sounds like you missed the Cherry Blossoms.

But there are still the Dragon Boat Races in Yokohama.

Name:  DSC_6163 Dragon Boats - Yokohama-s.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  503.2 KB
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/