Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mixed emotions from me, sad to see the site go but really pleased to know that youv'e got a great new start sorted out Jeff at DPR. I stumbled over this site when I was looking for a digital camera to take to the Grand Canyon for my 50th birthday trip of a lifetime. Excellent resource that pointed me to getting an FZ20 and capturing some shots of the US I'm still really proud of. That association has continued since and really my rekindled love of photography was definitely down to this site and that camera. Time to step up to a dslr and it was Jeff's reviews that sorted my decision on an Olympus E510. Not the conventional choice I know but one that has fitted well with my needs for the last 5 years. My post rate has dropped off a bit recently as I found an equally friendly Olympus forum but I still call in daily to see what's going on with the "old friends" I've never met. So a new job and a new home Jeff, quite an exciting New Year for you. Nothing you don't deserve though from the hard work and dedication you've put in here. I hope you manage to keep your brand independant integrity at DPR and can keep us posted on how things develop on the DPR forum you talked about. Have a great Christmas and a good holiday before starting afresh in Feb. Best Christmas wishes to all those on this forum too and hope to see you all on DPR in the New Year.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    By email do you mean PM on this site? I'm not a fan of dpreview at all, but would join this "private forum" and read your wonderful reviews. Would you prefer i PM you my personal email so you can let me know when everything is set up? As i doubt ill check here much anymore then.
    I will send an e-mail to the address you used when you registered on the site. Check your Profile page to make sure your address is current.

Jeff
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

WoW! I'm glad I caught this myself because I too needed to update my own email address. It's done. Thanks Jeff!

Jeff, I have followed your sites since the PowerWatch days (I had a PowerCenter Pro 180) so this is quite a milestone. I'm sorry to hear you weren't able to get out of DCRP before the negative cash flow. Over the years, when friends or family asked "What's a good camera to buy?", I would simply email them the link to your Buyer's Guide, because your choices always made sense to me and the Buyer's Guide already wrote out everything I would have said anyway.

Thanks for all the hard work over the years! I've started to notice your contributions at DPReview and look forward to seeing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    (on Jeff driving to Seattle) This doesn't have anything to do with CreativeLive's success or is Seattle a big place with more than 1 creative endeavor going on?
    Seattle has a lot going on in the arts, and a lot going on in photography...even more lately.

Chase Jarvis is based in Seattle, and that's why his brainchild, CreativeLive, started there.

Amazon bought DPReview some time ago. Amazon is a Seattle company, so DPReview moved from London to Seattle. Jeff got hired by DPReview so...naturally Jeff moves to Seattle.

Getty Images was also previously based in London, but they decided as a company to make the move to...wait for it...Seattle.

Down the street from Getty Images is the Seattle office of Adobe (and Google too). While there are hundreds of programmers and staff there, I think Photoshop or Lightroom are still coded out of California.

A short drive from Seattle is Redmond, home of the 800lb gorilla, Microsoft. While not purely a photography powerhouse (they keep trying but nothing sticks), obviously Microsoft's gravity has brought many tech types to the Seattle area and seeded the area with former Microsoft types who are now at a wide range of startups or Getty or Adobe or Google in Seattle.

Thanks secondcurtain that was very helpful
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Your site have always been one of my favorites, and in the early days my favorite photographic forum. I am going to miss your digital camera database.

Another sign of the times, I guess. It's not easy being on your own, maybe it never was, but now it's even more apparent. I'm not really a fan of DPReview, but maybe that will change when you join them because I always had more confidence in your reviews. I wish all the best Jeff. By the way, I just bookmarked DPReview.
    Panasonic DMC-TZ3

Hi Jeff,

I would like to thank you for all the work you have put into your site over the years and want to wish you well for your future.

I always valued your views and enjoyed reading your site. The emphasis of your reviews is quite different from dpreview and augments their contents. It is a good that we keep your voice in your new capacity. I want to wish you well.

Best wishes
    Joachim

I just wanted to drop a line to Jeff and say "thank you" for keeping DCRP going for so many years. I have been following DCRP since around 2000-2001; I purchased my first digital camera (an Olympus Camedia C-3020Z) in late Nov. of 2001. Since that time, my iPhoto library has grown to over 46,000 photos. A little over a year ago, I received my first SLR, a Canon Digital Rebel T3, as a gift.

I started looking at Jeff's DCRP and DV Spot web-sites over a decade ago because I was interested in plunging into the world of digital photography (and digital video) for the first time. I have been an avid Macintosh user since 1986, and Jeff's thorough work over the years helped inspire me to continue exploring the realm of digital media. In August of 2003, I attended a week-long class on Final Cut Pro at Digital Media Academy on the Stanford University campus. It was my first and only visit to California. Jeff's twin web-sites on cameras and camcorders were invaluable to me. While I did check out other sites while I was still "shopping around", Jeff's sites, more than any other, were the most thoughtfully designed and practically useful to help me gain an understanding of what the marketplace has to offer, how to compare different models, and what kind of expectations I could formulate on a limited budget.

As an amateur photographer, my knowledge of the subject has been slowly growing during the "digital era" since I started using the C-3020Z. I am constantly reminded that I still have a great deal to learn. One thing I have repeatedly done over the years is refer people who have questions about digital photography and cameras to the DCRP. I've always gotten a kick out of doing that. One thing Jeff's writings on Canon SLRs recently inspired me to do was to shoot in RAW mode for the first time. You can read about a very special trip to Saint Louis, Missouri sponsored by the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers here, and my hometown's news article here, and a video from television station KSDK of Saint Louis here. During this trip, I shot over 300 photos of the Gateway Arch and some of the PDM crew and families who fabricated the Arch's components in my hometown. I shared my first RAW photos with the Boilermakers, who subsequently used them.

According to what Jeff has posted on his personal site, I'm about ten years older than him. I've read about his education and work experience with great interest. (and a little envy; my neck of the woods is nowhere near as prosperous as the coastal areas seem to be) As I imagine Jeff is saddened to be shutting down DCRP, I want to add my condolences to this thread. I don't care if anyone else reads this. I just want Jeff to know that I remember DCRP's heyday and how I always enjoyed browsing his news articles on the homepage and reading so many of his reviews. One thing is clear, someone of Jeff's knowledge, experience and diligence has a great deal to look forward to. I wish him all the best and I look forward to reading from him again in the future.

Jeff just wondered if it was possible to leave this site as a forum only?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them