Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    It is sad, but posts on this forum have declined to a fraction of their former pace, as Rooz's link to a 2007 thread indicates. It was nice when all those guys were around.

I wasn't surprised, I knew this place had been slowing down and Jeff had been publishing his reviews in DPreview for a while. Last week I saw a statement by DPReview staff that they would be hiring one or two experienced reviewers to their full time staff, and there aren't really that many expereinced camera reviewers around. At that point I pretty much knew.

DPReview will gain a lot from this. It will roughly double the rate at which they review cameras.

Thanks Jeff for all these good years. I bought my first digital camera in 2000 or so, based on advice from you, and I always appreciated that.

I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    What exact date is the closing date Jeff?
    The end of this year. I start at DPReview in the second half of February, but who knows when I'll actually publish a review.

- Jeff
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Quote Originally Posted by Screenclutter View Post
    While this site won't be updated obviously, will it sort of be "archived" and still exist?
    Yes, for the foreseeable future. Things will just "freeze" in place as of January 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Augestflex View Post
    Hopefully your SF Skyline night shots will continue for camera comparison. Love it as I live in East Bay.
    No more SF skyline shots! I'm moving to Seattle in February. I have found a spot that may be a good substitute, though.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Jeff, I'm truly sorry to see this site close down.

I have always recommended this site to anyone who wanted to know about digital photography, and especially those who wanted help in choosing a new camera. Plus, the forums have always been a treat!

By the way, the first time I saw this site I was on a Power Computing machine...
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 85mm 1.8
    Tokina 12-24
    Nikkor 18-55
    Sigma 18-50 2.8
    Sigma 18-200
    Nikkor 80-200 f2.8
    2 Nikon SB-800s

Jeff,

What, not enough fog and drizzle in SF? I am guessing you will be hoping for nice evenings to shot from Kerry Park on Queen Anne hill. I think I have had one visit out of five to Seattle when I could see Rainier from there.

I haven't posted much in many years, but I always used this site for reviews. I always liked your review style, Jeff. Sorry this did not work out for you, but happy that you will still be able to do what you love. Thanks for all you have done, and I will look for your reviews over at DPR.

Good luck, and Thank You......
    Steve

WoW!!! Well, to be honest Jeff . . . most of us saw it coming. You did drop a number of hints and we all saw the tremendous slow down here. Sadly, I fear there is a general slow down in dedicated cameras in general, given the enormous popularity in smartphone cameras, which unfortunately millions deem to be "good enough". They are wrong, but it is what it is I suppose. You did make a good move in migrating over to DPR when you did and I hope that site goes on. Many of us have been frequent flyers on both that site and yours. All I can say is I hope DPR doesn't begin to slow as well. It might. The smartphone mania has definitely hurt.

You and I have communicated both here and in private. I'll never forget the drama and madness you had to go through with Canon and Stanford University and all their antics. You had my support and the support of many others. I think you'll love the Seattle area where you are relocating. I've been coming here to this site for over 8 years. It's been a good run Jeff. You helped so many people and it's sad that so many simply vanished as they have done. The regulars who are left are all saying goodbye here and I'm glad for that, but many thousands learned from you Jeff. You did us all proud here and the passing of this site will be like the passing of a dear long friend. DPR is fancy . . . but it will never be like here. Here there was warmth. I wish you all the best at DPR and with anything else you do in the future. Job well done buddy and thanks for so many years of fine service to us all. I'll continue to check out your work at DPR as well. Thanks for the memories! Waiving!
    Last edited by Dark Cobra; 12-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Congrats Jeff. I have been reading your reviews and visiting your site almost daily since 2000. I'm really going to miss the Purple Fringing Tunnel of Doom. I hope you can bring this to your new role. It was the first image sample I pointed friends to when they asked me to help them pick out a camera. All the best. See you on DP Review.

Newsy (NewsyL on DPReview)

Jeff..thanks for all the great reviews over the past years and for letting some of us hang out here and share a picture or a helpful tip or two.Things have changed in photography over the last few years..I even lost my job at Kodak making film this year!!Good luck at DPR..I have seen your reviews on there for some time now and will continue to follow your work..Cheers
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras