Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Upgrade or stand pat?

I am an amateur photographer. My most common shooting situation is indoors in relatively poor light (family gatherings, church functions, social settings). But, I am somewhat knowledgeable about the theory of photography and I like to play around with landscapes, macro and other other nature/artistic photography when I get a chance. Being able to stick a camera in my pocket is a priority, otherwise I forget to take it places.

My current camera is a Canon Digital ELPH SD1300IS (12MP, 4X optical zoom). I've been fairly disappointed with its indoor performance. On automatic it defaults to low ISO and slow shutter speeds, and even then is noticeably grainy even without cropping. I want to upgrade, my budget is around $150 tops.

I was very impressed with a Canon Powershot SX110 that a friend was using at a church function, with 10X zoom, low light and no flash he got very good photos of the event speaker from across the room. I was looking at the more current models SX150 ($99 at Target) or SX160, but a lot of reviews suggest it is very slow, relatively poor image quality and a battery hog. And it's kind of big for a pocket.

Based on the reviews and comments here and elsewhere I pretty much settled on the Lumix ZS15.

Then I read the glowing review of the SD1300 on this site from 2010 and I'm really starting to wonder if all these pocket point and shoots are basically the same. Will I really get improved performance (especially indoors, family events, active grandkids, etc) by upgrading to the Lumix? Or will the difference be so small that I should just hold onto my money until I'm ready to get a bigger, more capable (non-pocketable) camera?

If you are trying to freeze motion in low-light conditions, even the entry to mid-range dSLRs have trouble today.

This is considerably out of your budget, but if you want pocketable with some low-light capability, consider the Canon S90/Canon S100/Canon S110 along with one of those small tripods.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Newer point and shoots like the ZS15 have a CMOS sensor which gives slightly better low light results than ones with a CCD like the SD1300. Take your SD1300 to a store that sells a ZS15. Try them both in a low light part of the store. Compare results on the lcd's. Or ask to put your SD card in the ZS15 so you can look at results at your home PC.
    Last edited by bascom; 12-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS15.