Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patagonia

Looks like a fantastic trip Lukas. I'm sure you took loads of images and if these are anything to go by we are in for a treat. I look forward to some lengthy posts.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

What kind of shutter speeds do you use to get the water effects like in #6 - flowing over the rock? I love all of these shots, really great!

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    A few questions,
    Was it cold? There seems to be some fresh snow on the ground in a few of those. I'm curious how you dealt with backpacking in the snow, so far I've chickened out whenever I had the chance. And, are these sunsets,rises, or both? A cold sunrise is a thing I have a hard time getting out for.
    I was gonna ask about elevation, but that's answered. Strange that you never came close to the elevation of my house, and yet there are towering glaciated mountains everywhere.
    What kind of gear did you use and were there any issues getting it overseas? I've actually never been backpacking more than a 2 hour drive from where I live. The thought of bringing a tent etc. on a plane makes me cringe.
    Yeah it was cold for the most part. The wind is what made it really cold. It did snow one day. Most of the snow in #9 melted by later that day which was around the elevation we camped at. The snow in the other shots was at a higher elevation so we weren't camping in the snow for very long. Cold is all about how you prepare for it. I was cold at times, but it was never so bad that I wanted to leave because of it. Some of the locations require hiking so we were waking up at 2:30am and hiking for an hour and a half. The concern there is working up a sweat then reaching the shooting location and standing around in damp clothing for 2 hours. Everything but 5 and 6 was taken at or around sunrise. The peaks only catch a bit of side/rim light in the evening.

As for gear I just brought everything I'd have used here. Super easy. I actually forgot the fuel canister in my stove which is a no no. It ended up making it all the way through (3 plane flights) with no issue. Checked everything except my camera gear. Checked the tripod as well. I wanted to carry it on, but I decided it was better to pack it well than risk them turning me around at security and not be able to pack it well. I wanted to do something to protect my pack, but didn't want to carry anything around that provided additional protection. I ended up just removing the shoulder straps.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
    What kind of shutter speeds do you use to get the water effects like in #6 - flowing over the rock? I love all of these shots, really great!
    20 seconds I think. I wouldn't normally go that long for a river, but I wanted the cloud movement.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Lovely photos, Lukas. After giving them the "which would I like to have hanging on my wall to look at every day" test, I'd have to go for 2, 6 and 4 in that order. But I'd have been pleased to have taken any one of them!
    Nikon D7000 and a bunch of Nikon stuff oh, and some Canon p&s's too

Here are a few more from my travels. I'm pretty sure my level is off since everything seems to be leaning right since I got it. Looks like I need to find a better one.

Name:  IMG_8408_1000.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  524.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8555_1000.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  727.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8765_1000.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  498.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8794_1000.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  IMG_8966_1000.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  545.9 KB
    Lukas

Flickr

More stunning shots Lukas but yes you definitely need a new level for Christmas!
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Maybe it was only a northern hemisphere level. Perhaps one of the group from down under has a working one for the other side

I like 1,2,5 of the most recent set.