Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ND filter

For me the reverse provides the most benefit when I'm shooting 2/3 sky, 1/3 land. In all other situations it replaces a hard edged filter really well.

I use hard filters all the time for WA shots, but soft is probably more versatile. I just tend to have the brightest part of my photo right by the horizon so I like to have that dark area of the filter there as well. It doesn't hurt that I live on the coast so I often have a flat horizon. Hard edged filters are also very useful for telephoto shots as soft filters become pretty ineffective once you zoom in on that transition.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    For me the reverse provides the most benefit when I'm shooting 2/3 sky, 1/3 land. In all other situations it replaces a hard edged filter really well.

I use hard filters all the time for WA shots, but soft is probably more versatile. I just tend to have the brightest part of my photo right by the horizon so I like to have that dark area of the filter there as well. It doesn't hurt that I live on the coast so I often have a flat horizon. Hard edged filters are also very useful for telephoto shots as soft filters become pretty ineffective once you zoom in on that transition.
    Effectively, the last is what a 4/3 sensor does anyhow. I currently use 2-stop hard and 3-stop soft, but I reckon the 2-stop hard is more like a mild hard. I use the 3-stop soft for dramatic skies, but my horizons tend to have a lot of topography.

Anyone know if these companies tweak the transition for smaller filters? I wasn't paying attention when I upgraded.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr