Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Christmas 2012... with the old guard

I've been trying a strange approach with the Adobe Photoshop HDR tool.

Using the SONY a850 w/ the SIGMA 24-70 DG EX (IF) HSM lens:

• Using "Manual Focus", I de-focused the image at the widest aperture (f/2.8) to get the balloon bokeh of the lamps.
    • I then get the correct zoom range readjusted for a constant-size of the subject in the image (the subject changes size with the focal length, when you use an "Internal Focus" lens - yeah, that kind of requires some work to maintain consistency. You need to do this so that the lamps stack properly.)
    • Shoot it.
    • Improve the focus a little better and adjust the zoom to maintain the subject's size, again.
    • Shoot it.
    • Focus to complete sharpness, adjust zoom for correct size
    • Shoot it.

With these three images, you now have the basis for a "stacked" HDR, using identical exposures. You will need to "lie" to Photoshop, because it will detect this error and you will have to manually offset the setting of the images, just a tad (I used exposure time), to get them to combine. Once done... blur and adjust your background to soften it out. I found this exercise kind of fun to try and a lot more exciting than the typical tree shot. (Yes, I did fudge in the tree base blanket, from the sharply focused shot.)

Name:  10a.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  282.5 KB Name:  11a.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  83.1 KB Name:  12a.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  120.8 KB

"HAPPY HOLIDAYS!"

Name:  2012-tree-IIa_HDR2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  200.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi