Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to use a pan-tilt tripod

This may be a dumb question but here goes. I bought a used camera on craiglist and it came with a Ravelli pan-tilt tripod. I haven't been able to figure out how to mount a camera on it. There is the screw in the middle of the head for screwing my camera's mount on to, but on the head there is a metallic piece a half-inch from the screw that interferes with my camera as I'm screwing it on. It's small and silver and I can press it down but it's hard to press down while screwing the camera on.

Can someone please tell me what is this metallic piece and how am I supposed to get around it to screw on the camera? Here is a photo of the head with the screw and metallic piece:

Name:  PB257687.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  248.5 KB
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

I would guess it is to locate the camera in some way although this would mean a special camera or an adaptor plate. It would then ensure the camera is located square to the tripod?

I should have used a different title than 'How to use a pan-tilt tripod'. I wasn't asking how to control it, I was asking what the extra metal part on the head was. Someone in my photo club said it's for attaching a video camera so I could remove it for my still camera use, which I plan to do. Thanks for the replies.

I would guess that there's a button that makes that pin go down
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks but I couldn't find a button that makes that pin go down. It was easy to pull out the pin and remove it.

I have one of these on my tripod, and it serves no purpose.