Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What's best in a $150-$300 price range?

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet that's okay!) Point & shoot

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital? Been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5, 9 megapixels, 10X optical for the last 4 yrs.

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible? let it think!

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?want at least 10X optical with the best quality I can get with that..

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness? I would like the compact size, but I would sacrifice that for the other features I want.

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Up to $300

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!) additional battery, separate charger so I don't have to charge the battery while in the phone...my SD's should be good.

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera? 5-6 years

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for? close ups of people/pets, outdoors in the woods with deer, birds, etc, long distance shots of our eagles on the lake; video would be nice.

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away? no

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos? yes

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well? Do 8x10's for calenders, and alot of 4x6 or 5X7. I always print my own pictures.

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera? I'd like straight from the camera, but I often touch them up using Jasc paint Shop Pro.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you? no, definately not interested in gps! I don't even understand what that is for!

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind? no..I was looking at Sony cyber shot DSC WX 150, Nikon Coolpix S6300 and Samsung ST200F.

Thanks for your time and input...I appreciate it!

Is there anything currently wrong with your Lumix DMC-TZ5?
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Right I'm not sure how the cameras on your list (Sony cyber shot DSC WX 150, Nikon Coolpix S6300 and Samsung ST200F) are any better than Pan TZ5, except the S6300 and WX150 have CMOS sensors so may be better in low light. If you like your TZ5 but want a newer one I would get the Pan ZS15 or ZS19. They have more zoom and a CMOS. That is what I did this year, sold my TZ5 and got a ZS15. The ZS15 is on the buyer's guide for $200-$400 range: http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/
    Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS15.

Lumixtz5

Quote Originally Posted by Screenclutter View Post
    Is there anything currently wrong with your Lumix DMC-TZ5?
    No, bur my son needs a camera and I plan to give it to him....don't think he'd appreciate a newer, better one...also would like to get the high burst rapid shooting for px's of like eagles flying, and would like better low light.
    Last edited by Beckyhpt; 11-21-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Are you familiar with the canon powershot sx260? 10 fps burst, 12 megapixels, 20xoptical, vs the canon ELPH 110, w/ 4x optical but 16 megapixels and unlimited burst with 10fps? Best Buy was recommending those...thanx for your input though.

I'd say accept store recommendations if it is a specialized camera store, and not a store such as Best Buy.

This camera was reviewed on this site, should be worth a consideration:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...eview?page=0,3
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr