Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Mobile photography

Interesting article about the rise of cell phone photography.

VII Photo Agency director praises mobile photography
    http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/11...i-photography/
    Photographs Are No Longer Things, They’re Experiences

"To say that digital cameras have profoundly changed photography is both true and cliché. But few of the regurgitaters of the idea can tell you exactly how. Stephen Mayes, director of VII Photo Agency, is one of those few. He argues that the rise of digital changed the very nature of photography by moving it from a fixed image to a fluid one. The swift pace at which we create images is only matched by the pace at which we discard them and yet, paradoxically, we’ve never been more engaged with images. Photography is less about document or evidence and more about community and experience … and that’s not a bad thing. “The way we relate to imagery is changing,” says Mayes, who thinks the pace of change is astonishing. Fortune magazine reported in September 2012 that “10% of all photos ever taken were shot in 2011.”
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

I completely agree cell phone photography has "risen" enormously.

I do feel the article is trying to be too upliftting and inspirational; a lot of cellphone pictures is for convienience, work and record-keeping. "Experiences", should people want to display them, most commonly end up on Facebook/Instagram.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    ...Fortune magazine reported in September 2012 that “10% of all photos ever taken were shot in 2011.”
    Photos ever taken since the first camera was ever invented? How on earth did they come up with that estimation, I wonder.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB