Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Any help much appreciated :)

Which Camera Should I Buy?

This short questionnaire will help the members of this forum make good camera recommendations for you. Please copy the questions into a new post, and provide brief answers.

Camera Type

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet that's okay!)
    DSLR

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
    No

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
    I want to learn to be in control, and be able to tinker with settings.

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
    Zoom please.

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    I prefer size over sacrificing features

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    Up to 1500 euros

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    Yes, but they're outside the budget (total budget up to 2000 euros)

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    5 to 10 years

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
    All-round: sports, nature, macro, backyard, landscape, etc...

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    Yes. Ultimate Frisbee, sideline mostly, but both indoors and outdoors, and there might be some rain involved

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    indoor sports (prob 20-80 ind-outd), but also evening shots

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    Yes erm probably up to about 20 x 30"

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    Both, depending on what I am shooting.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    Not right now

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    Looking at a Nikon D90 with a 18-200 VR Sigma lense

Thank you!

A newer Nikon body might get better results and have better focus, but the weakness here is the lens. I suggest looking at Sigma's 70-200mm f/2.8 and 18-50mm f/2.8 lenses for indoor sports. Or other varieties of f/2.8 lenses. The Sigma super zoom will really struggle in less than daylight, and will be less sharp in any case.