Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

I have no idea what I should buy, please help!

Camera Type

� Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet � that's okay!)
    I'd consider anything that does what I'd like it to, as described in my novice terms below.

� Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
    No, had a couple of Canon compacts before - last one being of decent quality �250-�300 2 years ago

� Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
    I would like the camera to do as much thinking as poss!

� If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "�") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
    More versatile zoom for distance shots with a good level of quality rather than top-notch

� What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    The smaller the better, but I know I'm asking for a lot! I genuinely think I'll use it less if its too big, but I'd like a camera that can take rapid pics with reasonably fast processing time - I do get very jealous of friends DSLR's when they can take action pictures of the kids quickly, and with the zoom get much nearer to them if they're in the distance

Budget

� What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    Up to a maximum of �500 but ideally less so I can get the basic peripherals on top for �500 in total. I am willing to pay a little extra if you think it merits it at a push.
    � Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    I'll buy the basics on top of the price above, but nothing fancy

� How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    3-4 years minimum
    Usage

� What will you generally use the camera for?
    Walking trips, days out with the family, holidays snaps

� Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    No

� Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    Some - probably a 30/70 mix of indoor/outdoor but some of the outdoor definitely being in the evening in low-light

� Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 5�7") or medium sized (8�10"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    Only small ish prints 4*6, or 5*7 - will share on TV/Laptop screen

� Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    Straight from camera please

Miscellaneous

� Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    I would like the ability to fire fast - which is one of my perceived drivers for a DSLR - my current compact camera takes a long time to process the image even after tinkering with the settings

� Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    No - open to anything that is recommended by you guys

Which Canon models have you owned? They are still the best basic point and shoots. Canon 100hs, 110hs, and 300hs are good small ones with 4x-5x zoom for less than $200. Canon S90, S95, and S100 are bigger and may be better for $200 - $400.

If you want more zoom Canon SX230 and Panasonic ZS15 are good.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.

Hi Bascom, I have a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 now, and before that an old powershot (model I unfortunately can't remember, but was only about 80 pounds back then). The budget I had in mind was 400-500 pounds (the pound signs didn't show in my post unfortunately) - so up to 800 dollars.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, its much appreciated
    I'll have a look at them tonight. If speed of shooting multiple shots and zoom are my main drivers (but also considering bulkiness)should I stick to compacts or venture into the world of an easy to use DSLR? Or is there anything in-between?
    Last edited by rosie1975; 11-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

ILC cameras are in between dSLR and point and shoots. For example, Panasonic GF3, Sony NEX, and I have Olympus E-PL1. They have fast speed of shooting multiple shots and are less bulky than a dLSR. But they won't have much zoom unless you get an expensive, bulky zoom lens.

I never heard of canon D3100. Do you mean Nikon d3100? It's big, expensive, and won't have much zoom with a basic lens.

I think im waivering towards an ILC for her, but the compacts with good zooms are definitely still an option. So we're off this weekend to try the models youve suggested above Bascom - thanks very much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by rosie1975 View Post
    I think im waivering towards an ILC for her, but the compacts with good zooms are definitely still an option. So we're off this weekend to try the models youve suggested above Bascom - thanks very much for your help!
    I think I agree with you