Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Comparison output from a cropped sensor camera and full frame

Jeff ( or anyone else ) if you get the time and opertuninty I would be interested in seeing a photo taken with a cropped sensor camera and a full frame camera ( same or close amount of pixels and same lens ) of the same subject at the same time.

I read that the full frame camera should show more detail but for the averidge hobby user is it worth going full frame and this would be helpful.

My two cents worth, most people usually look to full-frame for better pictures (less noise, better dynamic range) at higher ISOs. At base ISOs, full-frame sensors may be doing better than cropped sensors but I'd say this is more due to better technology put into full-frame sensors rather than this being a result of the advantage of having full-frame.

If I were to move to the 'hobbyist' stage from the casual stage that I am in, I would be thinking about tripods, software and a wide angle lens, but would stick with my D5100.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Thanks for the input Screeclutter

I do not particularly want to move up to full frame; I just feel that I am missing out on a bit of qulity!

Looking at some of my latest photos I had difficulty getting some good photos in a Liverpool cathedral on holiday. When looking at the cathedral website last night they have some great photos; perhaps I should concentrate on getting better photos than worring about qulity.

Although I would still be interested on seeing the differance between the two types of camera.

If I were to move to the 'hobbyist' stage from the casual stage that I am in, I would be thinking about tripods, software and a wide angle lens, but would stick with my D5100.
    I did invest in a new tripod last year as well as a copy of lightroom. I have a wide angle lens which I have probably only used for 10 photos this year and was considering a 70-300 zoom which may be of more use; but them again it may get used about the same amount as the wide angle!

The benefit of higher level cameras is that they produce quality in a wider range of non-ideal situations as opposed to producing better images in ideal lighting conditions. Being in the right place at the right time is also very important.

Take a look at some the pictures in this D80 Flickr group, and I understand that the D80 had some metering issues compared to its successor, the D90
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/d80/pool/
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr