Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Need help about Used Digital Cameras for Beginner!

Hello everyone, how are you guys doing today?
    I am a new member here. Nice to meet all the members here.
    Now, I need you suggestions/advices/opinions about the used Digital Cameras.
    I found these 6 digital cameras on amazon which fit my budget, but I dont know which one I should buy. I believe that you guys can help me with this:

1. Canon PowerShot Pro Series S5IS2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18K

3. Sony Cyber-shot DSCH50
    4. Sony Cybershot DSC-H9
    5. Fujifilm Finepix S9100
    6. Fujifilm Finepix S9000

I want to purchase one of these digital cameras to learn the basic about photography. Do you guys think that these cameras are suitable for my purpose? Or do you have any other suggestions or ideas for me?

Most of the pictures I am gonna take are portrait, landscape, motorcycle ( I have a sport-bike, and I often ride with my friends at night. ), indoor, and macro. In addition, I rarely take sport/motion pictures.
    I am looking forward to receive your replies.
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a good day.

domanhtein,

Are your goals to learn the technical aspects of photography? Such as ISO, aperture and shutter speed and how they interact? Or you interested in the digital darkroom processing of the image? Or just the artistic aspect?

All the cameras you have selected offer manual mode so you certainly have the flexibility to manipulate the various settings. However, these are all superzoom point and shoot cameras at their heart. This will limit your ability to obtain good image quality in low light. Also, the small sensor size will pretty much eliminate your ability to control depth of field in photos. Based on the types of photos you intend to take I am not sure why you would choose a superzoom style camera. If you are not really going to need the super telephoto range of those cameras I would recommend looking at something with less zoom (under 5x) which will likely have a wider minimum focal length (24-26mm equivalent). I see that there are a few used Panasonic DMC-LX3K 10.1MP for similar prices. This is considered an excellent camera for those users who want good control and high image quality.

Thank you for your advice. I thought that those cameras are suitable for me. You are right. I want camera which can take good pictures at night and macro too. So, besides that Panasonic camera, do you have any more suggestions for me, sir? My budget is under $300. I appreciate your help. Have a good day sir.

The Canon 'G' series are also worth a look. You could also find a used Olympus XZ-1 under $300. I would suggest that if you can spend closer to $300 you can get into a refurbished Olympus PEN series with a 14-42mm lens (28-84mm equiv.). This will get you a much better sensor and the ability to add additional lenses. A factory refurbished camera will also come with at least some warranty unlike a used camera. Look around and check reviews here or on dpreview.com

I suggest Canon Power shoot, before you buy please check the availibility their service center in your area..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by plixyloren; 10-10-2012 at 11:01 PM.