Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cameras that make you a *better photographer* - Under $400 - Help!

Hello, all--

Thanks for reading my first post! I'll get right to my quandary. I am looking to purchase a camera as a gift for a dear friend who is falling in love with digital photography, but who doesn't know too much about it. All she has to work with is a shoddy point-and-shoot.

I am looking to buy a camera *under $400* that not only takes incredible photos with excellent noise reduction and low-light capabilities, HD video, etc., but that has enough manual control features to allow her to develop the creative and expressive skills that make photography an art form (and not just a compelling way to capture memories). In other words, what are the cameras that one can use to develop oneself as a photographer?

I have been doing research for days and am overwhelmed with the amount of information and options available. I understand primary concerns should be a good MP to censor size ratio, but each review I read is so nuanced I cannot at all make a decision about which to purchase. Obviously, in this price range I am looking at mid-to-higher-end 'enthusiast' compact digital cameras.

Can anyone help me narrow the field to a few of the most appropriate options? I'm very grateful for your knowledge and advice.

Thanks,
    .Adamo

I'd go with a used micro four thirds camera/lens
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

HD video is hard for most DSLR's, so a micro 4/3 camera would in fact be a good idea. Along those lines, a Panasonic GH1 would be a good choice. The GH1 is older and can be had for less money, but it should also have good HD video capabilities and better image quality than other 12MP micro 4/3 cameras .