Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SONY a99

Well, I see no sense in throwing an extra $1000 at a feature you will not use, plain and... obviously, not so simple. THey took out the flapping mirror... a most expensive part of the camera's design... and instead of discounting the camera as it should have, they jacked up the price. I'm afraid that increase in camera cost could represent a very nice lens, my friends. That's my front... and back. You guys are allowing them to develop a very bad precedent here in photography design.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-28-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    You guys are allowing them to develop a very bad precedent here in photography design.
    Lots of folks disagree with you, and that's why it's good that there are multiple manufacturers. Vote with your wallet; if the market thinks Sony is headed the wrong direction they will find out soon enough.

The big problem here is that you are not the market.

Just a voice in the wind, David.

I KNOW what I want in my camera. It is a short list... but, it still is not implemented. I suppose I have a better chance of HELL freezing over than to get the short-list executed. I have even demnstrated the advantage of "menu-driven flash control to several "folks." It has merit, I assure you.

Addressing your contention, I'm not all that impressed by what I have seen most of the young folks "under instruction" putting out.

Heck, I would go as far as stating that without the P&S (auto) features of the camera, I suspect they would be even further crippled to the point of not producing much of anything to speak of. For them, software (menu) control would seem to be a true PLUS in this art.

Photography differs greatly from a photographer, be it from a simple P&S rig or the most complicated image-maker in the world. Having the tool you want makes life just a little simpler, I must say. Forcing a square peg through a round holes, usually just makes for a mess and a damaged peg. How about we round off thedges and just give me what I want in my still camera... and say "adios" to video.

Markets and fads come and go... but, the product of photographer goes on and on. Let's hope we never lose that aspect of the art.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-01-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You're not impressed by the new breed of photographers ? Are you serious ? I've never seen a more exciting generation of photographers. The creativity and freedom of it is absolutely superb. The use of flash and light is sublime. The execution is spot on thanks to the advanced equipment. These are people that use the cameras as a tool to take fantastic images not to tick data boxes on some obscure feature sets. Ad that's not even starting on the brilliant cinematography being created by these cameras.

I suggest before you take the piss out of the young ones, you take a good hard look at what you're producing. I've been taking photos for 30 years and I can tell you now, these kids leave me gobsmacked. If you let your experience act as a barrier to learning you just won't get it.
    Last edited by Rooz; 10-01-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I suppose it is a matter of number, Rooz... you know, for every ten produced, only one is worth a second look.

We all cannot be Rembrandt. but don't give credit where none is due. I simply say, "impress me... then, we'll talk."

flickr & Sdi

I simply say, "impress me... then, we'll talk."
    You should apply that to yourself, so I say that to you. Forget all about the gear for once if you can.

We all cannot be Rembrandt. but don't give credit where none is due. I simply say, "impress me... then, we'll talk."
    lol as already started above. You first. Show m what you've done that is so superior than all these other people.

The kids of today, not just kids mind you, any amateur new to photography, are super exiting in my book. Love their creativity. And now that they have access to tools that can make things happen technically at a dirt cheap cost, the equipment barrier is gone.

I think what I'm hearing from you is indignation borne of jealousy.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Darker natures with advanced designs

Yeah... at the ripe old age of 55... jealousy is definitely my motivating force, Rooz. Oh, be it ever so humble as that.

I'll be frank, the world we live in today, is a far cry more corrupt than the one I grew up in. Times and cameras were simpler... and the freedom of thought, back then, was wonderful, as the proverbial "Space Race" was on and the world lifted it's respective eyes to the Moon and beyond. Now, not so much. The focus of the the cameras, now, seem to be aimed at penetrating people's privacy... the perpetrator (not photographer) getting their "secretive, miniaturized" boxes inside places where they do not belong. This was "spy science" years ago and not available to every person on the planet. Even the lighting from the supportive media, these days, has been significantly improved, to allow for improved imaging in this covert environment... and not revealing the camera's location as it records what it really should not.

You call this type of thing "advancement?" I cannot. This is just wrong and deviant behavior, using a tool for a purpose it really should not be (without the "permission" of those being recorded). Consider the monitoring of telephone calls and their locations (GPS or triangulation). Again, an technological intrusion into personal concerns and fortunes of people, effectively ruining lives. It has changed the face of the what we do, every day. If you stand out in a field of tall grass, today, someone can see you. If you stand in your own backyard, with a privacy fence up... someone can see you. I have to ask, where do you stand on this issue of implicit privacy?

Have you seen the video cameras on the backs of migratory birds, they have going, now? Natural fly-overs, right? Cover 3000-8000 miles of the Earth's surface, powered by involuntary animals.

No, Rooz... these are darker days. Not by light, but by deed. I am not jealous... I am violated.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.

flickr & Sdi

irrelevant nonsense.
    flickr

i love my a900 for high end stills with my zeiss glass
    love my a55 for my macro rig..(hated it as a still camera)
    as for the a99..not sold on it
    been having a great time with my nikon d7000 though...it does what I always wanted in a digital camera..the ability to use manual lenses manually ,,,and great video